1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by straightshooter1, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have a newer (but purchased used) MEC 9000G in 28ga. I don't use it often, but started to load a few a couple of days ago.

The handle bottoms out, then, most of the time, but not every time, the slide bracket "jumps" slightly, pulling the shell slightly forward and locking up the whole thing. In other words, it rotates slightly forward, rather than remaining stationary till I lift the handle.

Not real hard to fix, but sure irritating.

I am not sure what to adjust to fix this. Anyone had a similar experience?

Bob

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

If you go to MEC's website, you can download an owner's manual and see their trouble shooting tips.

3. straightshooter1

I have the manual, but I can't find this problem. I called MEC, but either couldn't articulate the problem enough for them to help or ....

I have tried to adjust the eccentric nut (whatever that is), but either am not doing it correctly or it makes no difference.

Bob

4. straightshooter1

I will try that, Vern. That's about the only think I haven't touched.

When the handle reaches the bottom of the stroke, sometimes the slide pulls the plate holding the shells slightly forward. The slide "jumps" or "jerks" when it does that. The shells are then slightly off center, towards the next station and the one in the collet is stuck.

The movement is very slight, maybe half an inch, but enough to throw everything off.

Bob

5. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I know exactly what you are talking about because I am experiecing the same problem right now, so I will be following this thread. A new to the house teenager(long story) playing with my loader- Crushed shells etc. Now the slide doesn't extend far enough out to the catch hole and pulls the collet ever so slightly forward before the downstroke is completed. Can't figure out whether it's the eccentric nut or the adjustment at the bottom of the piston. I was guessing eccentric nut but am not having success altering it.

If that wasn't enough the collet won't let hulls drop enough now and I can't get that one right either. I already removed any shot etc in the collet leafs. Looking for help. Thx

6. Rick Barker

Okay, I have my manual out and I am pretty sure you are having the same problem I once had, and it has to with the adjusting the travel of the slide bracket, and the eccentric nut, and may also require some minor adjustment with the rearward travel adjustment bolt at the bottom of the gas piston rod.
    There is some small amount of overtravel necessary to the operation of the press.

I beseech you to look at MEC's website and download their manual. They are free and are in PDF & ZIP format. If you cannot download, they will e-mail with the instructions. You will find the adjustment solution on page 30. It really is hard to explain without typing all the info in the manual which you can look at online.

7. straightshooter1

Rick, I've got the manual and have tried adjusting it.

Regardless of what I do, the same thing happens. I turned the piston in-same. Turned it out-same. Turned it more each way-same. Put it back where it was-yep,same.

I moved the eccentric nut, The short side down-same. The long side down-same. The long side to the right, then to the left-same.

I may resort to a real big hammer in a minute.

Bob

8. Rick Barker

Okay.......I missed your reply the first time you tried to tell me you had the manual.....I know your frustration first hand, because I had a lot of problems with mine too. Once I got it working okay, it would slip out again, adjust it again, it would slip again. I haven't had problems with it for a while and I was about ready to spot weld everthing once I got it working, but so far it seems okay.

When your adjusting the eccentric nut, on the slide bracket for forward travel, you have to do so in very small increments, and I mean small. There is a little overtravel in the shell plate on the down stroke, but when you release the handle, the plate will return to where it is supposed to.

The rearward travel is controlled by the nut on the end of the gas piston. You would be turning that to the right, if you were standing behind the machine, to increase the rearward movement and then only just enough for the anti-reverse lock to engage the shell plate and hold it tight. Once that lock engages, the adjustments are done. Again, these adjustments are very, very small.

The slide bracket which moves the shell plate is a real pain in the -----. My machine was brand new and I had problems with it right out of the box. I even bought a 8567 Grabber out of frustration and put the 9000 aside. After I while I replaced some parts that I thought might be giving me some problems and eventually got the stupid thing to work.

One more thing. Pay attention to the collet on the resizer. If you ever spill shot, and you will if you haven't already, pull the shell lifter out of the collet to free any shot that has fallen down in there. Use a small brush to pust the shot past the collet's edge, through the bottom.

9. straightshooter1

Thanks, Rick-I have been moving them in small increments. Same result.

I'll try your suggestion, Vern.

Bob

10. Rick Barker

To add to what BrownsT100 is telling you about Wad Guide Rod, it has the shell lifter bracket on the end of it under the base of the machine. If you encounter any resistance on the downstroke, you can bend this rod. That is why I suggested to clean any lead shot from the collet. Reach or look under the machine, and make sure the tongue of the bracket is engaged under the shell lifter. Once you get your press going, don't hurry it. Take your time and watch for the primer to fall and the charge bar to slide back and forth. If you have large charging bottles, make sure you don't over-tighten them, because if you do, they will cause the charge bar to stop halfway through its travel and you have a bunch of bloopers if your not careful.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

On two machines I ended up grinding a bit on the inside of the "hook" of the advancing arm. Effectively, I've lengthened the distance from the back to the front and now it works.

Neil

12. Rick Barker

You know, re-reading your orignial post for the fourth time, what you may be seeing is normal. Like the manual says on page 30

"A small amount of overtravel as shown in Figure 63 is necessary."

"This overtravel can only be seen during the downstroke of the machine, about 1/3 of the handle travel."

Once you raise the handle back up, the shell plate will move back to where it should be. What was happening to my and what I thought you were saying was the machine was locking up and would not release when you tried to raise the handle.

Too bad MEC does not have video's with their machines like RCBS does.

13. Rick Barker

Vern, I have had the advancing arm fly off the machine land on the other side of the room. I bent the wad guide rod and had to replace it.

14. straightshooter1

The more I watch this thing, the more it seems that the "hook" is slipping off, causing the problem. I am going to compare the "hook" on mine to a friends and see if it is bent or at a different angle.

Neil may have the solution. But, before I put the bench grinder to it, I better do a comparison.

Otherwise, it is about to get a trip up north to the factory.

I load with other machines, have a Spolar Hydraulic for 12ga. and an old Grabber for steel. Sold my SL900 a few months ago.

This little MEC is harder than any of those to get "right."

Bob

15. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

My 9000G had the same problem as Neil described. The "hook" would not come forward enough. The eccentric nut was at full engagement. The down stroke was not depressing the Upper Cam Bracket enough to bring the hook forward.

I called MEC service and they described the following EASY no cost fix. Loosen the two 1/2in headed bolts that attach the large black bracket assembly (Side Plate Indexer) to the red colored base. Have someone hold the black bracket assembly UP and FORWARD while you re-tighten the 1/2in headed bolts. A block of wood wedged in between works better than a person holding it though.

That's all it took. The Upper Cam Bracket is now being depressed enough to drive the "hook" well forward.

Another cause is that the Piston needs to be replaced, but that wasn't the case with mine.

The moral of the story is to call MEC, again. Literally, they know all, and have seen all with their product. MEC technical support; 1-800-797-4632.

16. straightshooter1

Wow!

Paladin, you need three hands to do that. Or, a big old hunk of wood to use as a lever.

And, it seems to work. I can't get it to mess up. At least not yet.

It pushes the little hook just a "hair" farther forward, so it catches more tightly.

Thanks to all of you.

Bob

17. Paladin

Bob,

I got more than just a "hair" of increased travel when I adjusted mine. You might want to get that thick piece of wood, as well as something to use as a wedge, to tap in and get maximum benefit. Actually, to gain maximum adjustment, make sure the rear bolt is tightened in the extreme up position, and the front bolt is tightened in the down position. If you look at it, you will see why I say that.

It's easy and won't take that long.

Don't forget to loosen that 7in upper brace. If you don't, it will prevent full available adjustment. Then re-tighten it.

If that still isn't enough, you may have to do as Rick Barker
    suggested to me, enlarge the holes to gain more adjustment.

18. straightshooter1

I didn't loosen the upper brace, but did put some serious pressure on the sideplate and I just reloaded a few with no problems.

I think it is fixed!

Yippee!

Bob

19. Paladin

One last thing regarding your first post, you wrote; "The handle bottoms out, then, most of the time, but not every time, the slide bracket "jumps" slightly, pulling the shell slightly forward"

That should never happen. If it does, the Upper Cam Bracket is not staying hooked on the Lower Cam Bracket. That means the lock nut number 56 is out of adjustment.

The Upper and Lower Cam Brackets should stay hooked together until the handle is almost to the top. The brackets should then disengage, allowing the Slide Bracket to rotate the Shell Carrier.

Lastly, do loosen and re-tighten the upper brace. It's necessary for correct adjustment, and only takes seconds. You will gain more travel.

20. straightshooter1

I will do that first thing in the morning.

Thanks again,

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 slide bracket problem

mec9000 slide bracket falling off

where does the slide bracket go kn mec 9000