1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by nsguy, Aug 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

I've been having a problem with my 9000G. When pulling the handle down, the wad catches the side of the shell and bends the base of the wad, the crimp portion of the shell, and often doesn't let the fresh shell drop into the resize collet correctly. If I pull the handle down with a little pressure to the right then ease off on the pressure it usually works out OK. I have to pull the handle kinda like in an elongated question mark shape. Also the shell carrier seems to turn backward just a slight bit when pulling the handle down. This thing has about a kazillion rounds through it and I'm wondering if it's time to send it in for a rebuild! Any thoughts? NSG

2. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Look at the front of the base plate and see if it is bent down,that is what was happening to mine and had to get a new base plate.Mine was snagging the hulls.

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Sounds like it's a tad out of time. On station 4 (crimp starter) check that the spring loaded timer is touching the carousel if not, tighten or loosen to move the carousel until it just touches.......GOOD LUCK

4. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

After a "kazillion rounds" I'd send it in. Sounds like your wad guide isn't dropping into the hull (worn out fingers) and also the pin in station 1 is dirty. The timing is pretty easy to set. It's in the manual.

Another thought tho. I loaded some 1ce fired Federals with Cheddite primers and the primer wasn't seating deep enough in the socket. That caused the hull to rock a bit and didn't line up correctly with the wad guide fingers. I just dropped a little washer in the primer holder and it corrected the depth thing.

Too bad you couldn't take it to Sparta. They took my 9000, installed the large primer tray (I already had it), cleaned and timed it, and replaced the wad guide and guide clamp. They charged me $20 and had it ready in 1 1/2 hours!

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The very first thing I'd look at is if the handle is bent or cracked at one or both of the bends off on the sides. There are many other things that could cause the problem. There is a little "C" clip that might be missing or in the wrong place on the rod that holds the wad guide. A quick call to Mec might shed some light on it. They will walk you through the process. Sending out to the factory for a refurb might be a good idea if there is a LOT of wear. I regularly replace a lot of the wear parts myself.

6. Borderland

Borderland Member

Adding a little washer to the primer seating station is not recommended...the proper primer depth adjustment is to raise or lower the powder drop tube.. All models of the 9000 have over travel of the shell carrier to ensure that the carrier stop(crimp starter station)can engage...the slight rearward rotation of the shell carrier is normal until it reaches the carrier stop. Failure of a shell to drop into the resizing collet is usually overtravel of the shell carrier(this has an adjustment) or lubrication on the shell lifter..The shell lifter should be perfectly clean and dry to enable the shell to drop in time.

Ken

7. nsguy

nsguy Active Member

Spent a little time this morning giving the 9000 a lookover. Decided to snug up 3 bolts in the handle and pivot points. Just about one sixteenth of a turn on each one took out about 90% of the slop! Probably good for another kazillion rounds!!! Thanks for your input people. NSG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 shell carrier bent

mec 9000g troubleshooting