1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G primer issue

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Nutnbutsmoke, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

Hoping some of you reloaders out there may have dealt with this. When reloading the press comes down and drops the primer fine, however when you start the press back up at the point the auto sizer sounds like it releases from the mechanical connection in the press it pops and causes the new primer to fly out of the press!! I have tried different oils etc and some seam to help for a while and then it comes back. I haven't pulled it off my bench yet to see if there is something up in the center of the press that isn't right yet but before I did I thought I would see if anyone out there has battled this at all.

2. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Lubricate the re-sizing collet. I use a dry white spray on lubricant. It works well and smoothes things out.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have seen an occasional collet that is set too high in the press. When the collet opens, it strikes the primer. I have re adjusted the collet, and also have put a detent in it accross from the primer station with a Dremel. The Dremel works fine.

If you have a gun with a tight chamber, and use pick ups off the field, the collet is going to pop open every once in a while and knock your primer around unless you keep it lubed with Anti-Seize AND check adjustment.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The resizer will flatten a piece of shot so flat it looks like a powder flake. I use a pic to clean mine out when I have a few shot spill. I use the pick on the slotted areas then use air to blow out the crud. Lube as said too. Hap

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

time for a good clean and lube.

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you dont have an air compressor near get a can of the compressed air they use for computers it will blow the dirt powder and shot out of the collet call mec and get a tube of the never seize unless you use it in the shop i use a Q tip to put on OUTSIDE only collet dont get it in the spaces the next day do same with a little gun oil MEC s lube will dry out the next time you need to lube clean the old off i use a 1/2 in wide piece of Tee shirt and see saw around it then the air the collet is not easy to get out so dont do it if you dont have to rick

7. psfive

psfive Member

The best anti-seize I have found for the resizing collet is the one sold by MEC. By far the best for the application. Paul

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Stuff paper towels around the base of the Sizing Collet and the bottom of your reloader. Take a pressurized can of solvent and spray the entire collet down. The towels will catch most of the fluid. Run a cloth rag through the collet and wipe the rest off and let dry. Then lube the collet with a small amount of Anti-Seize. Dirt and grit gets built up in the collet and must be removed before re-lubing.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Take the collet out and clean it the right way. Had some shot hide in the collet until I removed it and did a THOROUGH cleaning. You also need to look for broken collet fingers. If that happens, replace the collet. MEC sells a small maintenance kit for their collet loaders. It has a proper wrench for removal and adjustment of the colet, among other items like the proper collet lube.

10. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

T appreciate all the advise, I haven't been able to get on line for awhile so I haven't responded. It sounds just like what shooting coach said just as you get the handle almost back to the top the collet or sizer pops open and it hits the frame or indexing plate enough to make the primer pop out or worse yet some times it does a half flip and ends up in the indexer up side down and if you are not watching close you try to cycle it again and end up with a mess because it won't go in but the powder still drops. I will give some of these a try, thanks again.

11. bt100ed

bt100ed TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've had the same problem and found that the nut that is around the collet will turn enough to hit the reloader frame and cause this. Just turn the nut so it doesnt hit the frame and locktite it in place. Worked for me!
    Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.