1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Operation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I have both a 12 ga. Grabber (loaded a bunch of shells on it over the years) and recently acquired a 9000G which is in extremely good shape. The force required to pull the handle down on the 9000G is quite a bit more than the Grabber. This is true even when "dry cycling" the loader without empties, powder or shot in place. Is there something I need to adjust on the plunger mechanism? or does the 9000G system just require more force? Just to use it, I have disconnected the automatic indexing feature and now use it as a manual index (like the Grabber) and it still requires exceptional force. Help from the experts appreciated. Best Regards, Ed

2. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Ed.....There's a lot more going on when you pull the handle on a 9000. Just check and adjust the the resize collet for proper resizing and you should be good-to-go. I have 3 9000G's in 3 gauges and they all turn out next-to-new loads.

Jere Cossaboom

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

1st thing. So far all the loaders I have rehabed. Quess what. The best looking ones have had more problems. Why? I think becaouse operator error. I have a 650 I bought used really used. worn badly, it cranks out nice shells. So far the best thing I have found is a tear down of the entire unit. clean clean clean. I found a heavy build up of gunk inside the main body where it rides up and down the shaft on my 9000g. I still for the life of me can not get it to cycle back to the top with out some help. All other loaders I have do not have this problem. Check for over tight and loose nots and bolts. i got a LNIB 650 last year for a good price. It became a donator of parts. It had taken a spill at some point and bent several pieces. looked really nice though. I didnt catch the bent parts till I got it home.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What Mac said and Lube Lube Lube. However, I also had a 9000G that had a problem with the black hindge levers, up high in the back, the holes were egg shaped and as a result the unit was hard to cycle. I found it by just helping the unit go down by hand pressure, I found it was quite easy to slide the handle down then. Have a look at the link, item 23. Frank C. MEC was good about helping me find the problem on the phone!

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Frank, think thats my problem also. The hing pin at the top. I was thinking of ordering a hinge kit from mec. What was the fix for you

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks, guys! I suspect the resizing collet is probably most of the problem...will give that a look tomorrow; then will certainly check the hinges as suggested. Again, your experience and interest in helping is appreciated! Best Regards, Ed

7. flamborn

flamborn TS Member

Ed - if you don't have it, the o&m manual is available on MEC's website. It explains the maintenance of the reloader and has exploded parts views. Cleaning and lubing the resizer as well as oiling the other pivot points as outlined in their manual should solve your problem. If that does not help MEC has very good customer support.

Goodluck - Fred

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I am starting to remember more now.....the reason I had to go back there was because the main handle had cracked, when I ordered the new handle, they asked me to take a look and see if the holes in "Links" were elongated. They were so for the few bucks I replaced them too. After the replacement, all of a sudden I could adjust the small hole in the middle of the crimp. The slop in the holes had reduced the adjustment of the crimp to nil. I had been suffering with that for a year or more and had given up! the broken handle photo above fc

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Frank C - thank you very much for the photo and explanation! Your interest is very much appreciated. This will help immensely as I work on this problem. Best Regards, Ed

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Welding a couple of small gussets on a new handle would probably help. I'm on my third handle on my 9000G. I have another new one that will get the gussets to reinforce it. I might overlay some material on the outside as well. This is a common problem and I don't know why Mec hasn't improved this by now. It's pretty much the same thing with the Grabber too.

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Make sure your collet is well lubed or it will cause friction also. Omaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.