1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G new vs used

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm looking at either buying a new or used 9000G. The input I'm looking for is what's a new one worth more than a used one?

I'm thinking that if I can't get new vs used for $100 or less, it would be best to just buy a new one.

I plan on keeping it for some time and according to the reloading calculator I will break even vs buying shells in about a year.

Thanks,
    Blueraven

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you are just starting out, I would buy new because a lot of us, myself included, do little things to our loaders that make them work better for us but those things might not work for you. When you call MEC for help, not knowing that something has been modified might interfere with their suggestions working.

Ed

3. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Def. NEW. That way you will get the new primer feed too. Many of the used presses have the old primer feed system. The extra $1-200 dollars is well worth getting a shiny new machine to set up and use. Ed makes a valid point too!

4. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well I've been using a 600jr and with both of my boys shooting around 500 rounds a week, it's just taking me too long to reload.

I've got it down to about 45 mins. per 100.

I've read that I should be able to do at least 100 per 20 minutes with the 9000 once I get comfortable with it.

I'm leading to new myself seeing that both of my Boys will be shooting Jr. High and High School trap for the next 4-5 years so I'll get my money out of it.

With the school team discount I can get the 9000G for $461 out the door.

thanks
    Blueraven

5. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well, the one I was looking at was on e-bay and sold for about $100 less than new so my decision was easy.

I'll be heading out today to pickup my new MEC 9000G.

Thanks,
    Blueraven

6. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well I bought a new 9000G. Now I'm really in deep to this damn sport and I don't even shoot trap!!!!!

Anyway, I loaded 300 shells yesterday and I found that even though MEC's guide says for an 18.6 gr load to use a #28 bushing, a #29 puts out around 18.1 gr.

Anyway, I don't regret buying this unit, compared to my MEC 600 Jr.....well there's no comparison. The speed just puts the 9000 in a different league.

Blueraven

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

On your bushing anomilty,MEC tends to operate on the safe side. You need a decent scale to weigh the charges you are dropping. Be sure to get one that weighs to at least 750 grains.

8. trappypappy

trappypappy Member

Invest in a good digital scale and get yourself a Universal charge bar. I have them on all my 9000's. No more bars and bushings to change out!

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Just fill the gaps with the bushings. They're cheap enough. I'm kicking around another 9000 also, I've had mine for quite a few years now, no problems with it and I'm certainly not selling it. Just want to have a second automatic set-up(skeet). My JR's for this are o.k. but, I'd like to kick them out alittle faster. I've looked on ebay but have no desire to pay that close to what a new one would be either. I could be wrong but I believe I paid just over $200.00 for mine back some years ago. Nice to know that I could easily get that for mine still.

10. glenns

glenns Member

Bought a used 9000G here on TC.com for $325 in September 2009. Has worked great to date. They seem to be very durable.

Glenn

11. buck3200

buck3200 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine wearing a loader being "worn out" if less than 20-25 years old.Since diving back in I've purchased 1 9000H 3 Grabber hyd. and a mint Texan M IV for between 225 and 400 ea.(and that one included Pump)All came with extras and took no more time to make operational than assewmbly of new. Actually,one of the grabbers is new. Maybe I've just become too used to making things work being a Industrial Electrician,but ya hve to be pretty mechaniclly challenged to have BIG problems with these things. I just can't see buying new unless a few weeks shopping is too long.

12. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

sctrap, need another Texan? Just got a really nice one on a trade. $100.00 and shipping.

13. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

i have a 9000g and on friday set up my 9000h.man o man why did i wait so long.this thing work just as good as any spolar.

14. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well I typically never buy new, but being the middle of trap season, I was in a hurry and with the local supplier giving a High School Shooter's discount I figured what the hell.

I don't shoot trap, I reload for by two Sons. People say I should have them reload, but I kinda like doing it myself.

I do agree though if you have the time to look, you should be able to find a good used reloader for at least 30% less than new.

Let's face it guys if money was a primary concern, no one would be involved with shooting trap. I thought golf was bad until I was introduced to trap shooting :).

Blueraven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 loader difference from old and new

mec 9000 new vs old
mec 9000g used
mec 9000g vs mec 9000h
used 9000g