1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 9000G - Need Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Todd1, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd1

Todd1 TS Member

I have been reloading with the 9000G in 28 gauge for awhile now and it has been working fine. All of a sudden for what ever reason it has started to bind up at the top of the stroke causing the shell in station six to jump out. It binds enough that it causes shot to jump out of the shell on station 4. It doesn't do it on every stroke each time but it does do it every 5 or 6 times. I have cleaned out all the normal areas but it continues to bind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Todd

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Usually a problem like that is linked in some way to the resizing collet. Check for shot in between the collet fingers for a start. HMB

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Take grease and go all the way around the resizer. My reloader does the same thing and once I grease it its fine for about 4 to 6 months.

4. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

hmb is on the right but I found that if you lube the resizeing collet on the out side with Mec grease or like anti sease it clears up hte problem. Just don't go nuts with the grease try not to get it between the fingers, us a Q tip.
    Pete

5. Todd1

Todd1 TS Member

Thanks for the help fellas. My problem persists. The resizing station is now rounding out the brass so it is no longer flat on the primer end. I've wrecked 5 new 28 gauge hulls already. It doesn't do it if there is only one shell on the carrier and your resizing it alone but as soon as you go to prime one and also resize one is when it happens. Any new thoughts on this one. The thing is I don't know what could have changed so much so quickly. It was working fine. Thanks again,
    Todd

6. FLIP

FLIP Member

remove and clean collet then relube,something is in collet

7. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Also, pull the pin out of the collet and clean it. No grease/oil. The only way I've ever seen a MEC round the brass is the shell and/or pin not falling all the way to the bottom.
    One more thing: make sure the spent primers are not interfering with the pin drip. They will build up in a pile under the pin.

8. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

The tube that the spent primer drops though (in the size station) must be between the fingers of the forked bar under the machine - if the tube is setting on this the shell will not drop to the bottom of the sizer.

JB

9. ajc

ajc Member

What you are describing is typical of a binding or sticking collet issue. Mine does the same thing, if I don't do some maintenance. A good cleaning and light lubrication will probably take care of the problem.

10. neo

neo Member

A very simple thing that will cause this, is if your spent primer tray is full and holding the spent primer drop tube up just a litle. neo

11. crk

crk Member

Just call MEC tech support - they will walk you through the issue in one phone call. Very good at this. 800-797-4632

12. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Let us know if your problem has been fixed and what the repair was, If you need further help my # is 423-743-9233 if I can assist you.

thanks
    lee

13. reloadingpro

reloadingpro TS Member

I had this same problem although it was the release brackets on the indexer were dry. MEC told me to add a dap of grease to the lower cam bracket on the little ramp and my problems all went away

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.