1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000g(N)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I recently set up my new N model 9000. Last weekend I loaded a flat of target l;oads. Today I was loading and had one problem after another. It started off ok but about 75 reloads it started acting up by flipping primers upside down and sideways in the tray. The lid was tight but it continued. I took the lid off the primer feed portion and the spring decided to fly out. I found it twice but the third time it flew I know not where.

The bolts and nuts on the primer feed mechanism were tight in each case. What could be the problem ? Also, I need a spring, quick. Anybody have one for sale?

2. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I'm no expert on MEC reloaders, but I have a 9000 and my primers were doing the same thing. There's an adjustment to set the timing on the primer drop. Mine were dropping to early, but now they drop right at the bottom of the down stroke. Also, when I lose a very small metal part, I just run a magnet across the carpet/floor - sometimes I get lucky. John

3. willing

willing Member

I sed a spring from an old ballpoint pen.

Bill

4. Dave P

Have any of you found a way to prevent a primer from tipping over in the channel as it sometimes does just before it's in position to drop?

5. t7731

t7731 Member

I know that this may sound wierd, but try putting some pledge or other furniture polish down in the channel. Just spray it down in there and then use a q tip wrapped in toilet paper to wipe it out. Should keep the primers from turning up on end.

6. Dave P

I spoke with MEC via e-mail today and the recipient suggested furniture polish as well. So I'll be trying that. They are also sending me the bolt and spring. You can't beat that for service. Hats off to MEC and their service team.

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Get the new primer tray,NO spring to deal with.

Doug H.(pa)

8. washandwear

washandwear Member

Dhip

Believe he is talking about the new primer tray. The "N" after 9000 stands for the upgraded primer tray. My lid warped on mine and it let the primers flip over sliding down the tray. Put a large paper clip over the lid and that took care of the problem.

Regards

W&W

9. Dave P

Mine is the new larger tray but until I read it here I didn't know there was a tray with no spring. Are they convertable from needing a spring to one not needing a spring? How are they differently constructed?

10. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

Also, dot tip the tray up to the maximum angle back of off to where it isnt quite so steep.

11. t7731

t7731 Member

There is definately a spring on the new/large primer feed. It pops out everytime you remove the cover that is secured in place with the allen screws. You probably could temporarily replace it with an ink pen spring until mec sends you a new one.

12. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Spray the lid & tray with silicon, wipe it off, make certain that the tube is lined up precisely on the bottom stroke with only a matchbook thick space; and, time the chain that the drop is at the bottom of your downstroke. When you lift the handle do so slowly and continuously. Make certain the primer tray lid is locked down on the silver tray even if you have to carefully bend the little flat bar that keeps it closed. I've used this method on 3 MEC loaders and it works 100% of the time. It should be noted that I've had to bend some of the drop tubes to make these line up precisely. I'm referring to only the small primer trays as I have not set up any large ones. Hope this helps. BT-100dc

13. Dave P

Doug H.: You mentioned "no spring to deal with" What were you talking about?

14. t7731

t7731 Member

Doug is probably referring to the two external springs that are on the old primer feeder that are not on the new one. There is one on the chain and one underneath the tray.

The new larger primer tray definitely has a spring that resets the feeder after dropping a primer. One might never see that spring if they never took the feeder apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

old mec 9000 primer tray lid