1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 9000G Jams

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tally, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tally

Tally TS Member

My MEC 9000 is jamming on every cycle. It hangs up on the upstroke of the handle. It is as though the turret starts it's rotation before the hull is completely up and out of the resizing collet.
    Anyone out there ever had a similar problem?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Probably the re-sizer is sticking. Lube it and clean out crushed shot (Crushed shot? In a MEC?) with a dental probe.

Tip the bottles back, disconnect the hook that moves the turret if you want, and cycle it a few times after you swab the re-sizer with some sort of lubricant - if you used anti-seize go wash your hands - then put the bottles back, reconnect the hook, and really, really think where the powder has been dropped, where the shot, what's been de-primed, what re-primed and are there any empty holes shot or powder may drop through. And then go look - taking each shell out and verifying your beliefs, just to be sure, and get back to reloading.

Neil

If it's not clear, this is the voice of experience, having made every MEC mistake except the next one.

3. alec

alec TS Member

Had the same problem....if you lube the collet and that does not work, check the gas piston on the rear of the machine. It is set up on a cam system at the top, if it releases the shell plate to soon it will attempt to index the shell before the operation is complete.

Al

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

nut is losse on piston

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

check all nuts and bolts for looseness, clean resizer, open instruction book and start like you just bought it.

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

does it also jam without any shells in it? If so, then it is not likely the collet.... have a look at the black hindge arms located in the back that are bolted to the handle. the bolt holes elongate causing issues with the handle stroke.....there is another thread on here recently that was asking a similar question....

I wish I saved the pics of the holes in my links, MEC nailed it right away during a phone discussion

7. Frank C

here is a photo of the right side link....

8. Frank C

take the bolt out that my index finger is pointing to and look at the holes, if they are oval shaped, replace. one of the indications of issues before it started to stick was that I could not control the hole size in the final crimp. let us know!

9. Frank C

What did you find Tally???

10. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Sometimes, if you are slow in raising the handle to the top of its stroke, the shell carrier will start its rotation and catch the deprimed shell in the resizing station (#1). Try giving a firm, smooth upstroke to the finish.

The shell will not pop to the top in the collett prior to the shell carrier starting to move if you do it slowly or have an incomplete upstroke.

11. Tally

Tally TS Member

I appreciate all the help with this problem. However, I can't seem to get it to work right. I've checked all of the things that were suggested, but, either the reloader is smarter than I am (always a possibility) or the thing is just worn out to the point that there are multiple problems with it.

I really can't complain, I've loaded a LOT of ammunition with it in the last 15 or so years.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Tally

12. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I had same problem. I cleaned the cullet. I checked to make sure the bolt at the bottom of the piston was okay and then checked the travel on the rod that holds the wad guide. Nothing helped. Ordered a new piston and installed. Problem solved! Mec said it should not have solved it but it did.

Coincidence - maybe.

Regards

Bill

13. Frank C

Tally, you have Email....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

handle jams on mec 9000