1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Issue,,,,,

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WJN, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WJN

WJN TS Member

I have been loading on this machine for several weeks now and have run out several cases of shells. I seemed to have one issue after another today but most were me or things I could figure out. There is one issue I can't figure out and I am not sure where to start. On most down strokes (not all) I hear a loud pop or snapping sound. I can not tell what is making this noise. So far I have not seen any functional issue with the sound other than you can feel a catch in the down stroke as it makes the snap. This seems to happen toward the lower part of the down stroke.

I plan to take it apart for a good cleaning in the next couple of days. If you have any suggestions as to what to look for I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks!

Jim

2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

In the opening of the taper die (station 6) there is a large chamfer, maybe 3/16". That chamfer has a sharp edge where it transitions to the taper part of the die. I had a problem there with the top edge of the brass hanging up on the sharp edge there. My remedy was to scrape a little radius on that edge with my pocket knife to soften the corner. It seems to have fixed the problem as I have loaded several thousand shells since and haven't had any repeat problems. Hope this helps.

Chuck

3. WJN

WJN TS Member

Thanks Chuck I will take a look at that when I check some things in a day or so. Could you see where it had been hanging fairly well?

Jim

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I get that sound when I use Figure 8 wad clones, when I use the Remington Figure 8 wads the snap goes away. HMB

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If the inside of the sizing collet and/or the shell lifter gets dirty sometimes it'll do that if the shell doesn't drop down in the collet freely and the collet closes on the rim of the shell before it's all the way down in the groove in the collet. A couple of things you might try, ....if this is the problem it'll probably be more prone to hang up the faster you pull the handle down. ....another thing you might try is to run a shell or two thru' the complete procedure one at a time, might narrow it down to what station it's happening at?

John C. Saubak

6. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Yes I could see where they were hanging up.

Secondly, check the case mouth when the wad enters it. FranK C is correct to not use CB wads in AA shells ---unless they are marked AA replacement, AA replacements have a chamfer on the outside of the powder cup. so it won't hangf up on the base wad and seat correctly.

Chuck

7. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Happens on my 9000 when loading Remington Gun Club hulls. Other noise mine makes once in a while is the wound upper spring on the primer seating station. A little oil keeps that from binding. JW

8. xtj

xtj Guest

I was having the same problem come to find out I was using nobel sport primers they are slightly oversize causing a popping snap when they were forced into the standard primer opening.

JKG

9. fuzzy-one

fuzzy-one TS Member

If hull is a Gun Club the Remington primer is the shortest of primers. When inserting primers other than Remington the extra length of the new primer will make like a snap when it seats. Doesn't happen on every shell but most. After it has been reloaded once the sound usually gets less and less.

10. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Don't use Claybuster wads on AA hulls??????????????????? Thousands of rounds through my MEC Grabber and that's the only wads I use. No problems at all.

rm

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Your popping noise is the primer catching on the edge and then letting go when it inserts into the pocket.

12. WJN

WJN TS Member

Thanks for all the input guys - all good stuff to check out. To clarify on some of the comments regarding components - I am loading Rem STS Green hulls and using Win primers and Win wads 7/8 oz. I have heard this snap sound before but I don't think it was to the extent I am hearing it now.

When I figure this out I will let you guys know what it was unless I don't know what I did to stop it.

Jim

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, it gets tiresome to listen to.

My popping noise was caused by the wad going through the wad guide having enough resistance to make the press think it was giving wad pressure, then when the wad slipped through the shot tube would snap back in place making an annoying "pop" or "snap". I am sure it was some sort of wad/hull combination it didn't like, but I never had time to experiment with different wads. The newer the hull the worse the noise, I guess because of hull thickness. Seems like the Claybuster "White-8" wads were the worst. The best were the Winchester Orange wads. Good luck.

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

If it is happening on every stroke, it is the wad passing thru the wad guide. If it is only an occassional pop, it is probably the primer seating. If it is the wad guide, you can reduce it by sanding a little clearance in the MEC guide. The problem is the fingers going into the case mouth, and the thickness of the case mouth, is causing a tight fit. On the wad guide, if you sand the body to open up the area that touches the outside of the hull case mouth, it will help. Another alternative is to use Duster or Down Range wads.

15. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Call MEC as they probably can give you some help.

I have loaded over 50,000 shells on my 9000G using Winchester AA hulls, Clay Buster wads and Winchester primers with no problems.

Allen

16. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks for asking this question.Mine was doing the same occasionally.After reading all the input,I'm not going to worry anymore since it's not constant.

Doug H.

17. WJN

WJN TS Member

I did run two solo shells through the whole process this evening and I am buying into the wad guide issue. It seems to only happening on the 3rd position when the wad is being pressed into the shell. I will play with it a bit more tomorrow when I have time.

Jim

18. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Jim

Watch the wad / powder tube at the adjustment clamp area as it comes down. If the wads are causing the clicking noise you will see whats going on. My 9000H
    does the same thing with some wads in STS and or AA cases.

Hope it helps
    Lewis

19. chisle

chisle Member

try raiseing the wad guide up a hair.

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Chisle is right. I had forgotten this. You don't have much room to raise the wad guide, but just raising it a 1/8" will help this. I haven't had my 9000G for a while so I didn't remember this, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec snapping noise