1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Crimp (Station #5) Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mercedesman1981, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

mine appears to be about 3 3/4", measured from the inside of the top portion of the turret to the bottom of the housing. Mine is set up for 2 3/4" hulls and does a great job, it is also brand new. (this is at station 5)

Mike

2. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Here prairiedog. This may solve your problem. It did for me.

From MEC, in 2005; 1-800-797-4632, CST., 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

"A crimp punch is available in 12 gauge with more threads on the top side of the punch. This can be ordered through MEC at a cost of $4.00 each and is part #721B12LT (single stage reloaders) or 621B12LT (progressive reloaders)."

I had the exact same thing happen. These punches have 3 or 4 more threads on the shaft.

Even though the bottom two turret threads are gone, there are still enough threads available to use the longer threaded punch. My new punch is screwed into the turret so the start of the threads are flush with the top of the turret, and gives very nice crimps with a deep punch look.

The overall length for the old and new punches are the same at 2.380".

Good luck.

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

prairiedog,

I hear you. I think the fact that MEC has the longer threaded punch available, is proof that the OEM punch is a marginal application at best. Be very careful when tightening the locknut,,just tight enough to keep everything locked in place, and no more, because you now have two less threads in the turret.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

They now keep the long thread part in stock. I have only needed these on 12 ga presses.

I now keep several in stock for customer's presses if needed in the set up process.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Another thing to look for is a bent handle or cracks in the bend areas. It is pretty common for these to bend or crack. A new handle is about $10 from Mec and it's not too hard to replace. It just happens from normal use over a period of time. I've seen many of them break. I tried welding some gussets onto a new handle and have not had it break yet, but it's too soon to tell. If it's just slightly bent, you can probably bend it upwards, but I'd be placing an order for a new one.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

prairiedog

I think that's why they came up with the modified crimp punch with extra threads. I have seen the same thing a few times. I don't think it's an issue as long as there is enough threads for the punch to thread into. Just be careful not to overtighten the jam nut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to fix crimp on mec 9000g
mec 9000 station 4
mec 9000g crimp cam punch
mec 9000g longer crimp cam punch
replace cam punch in mec reloader

replacing mec 9000 cam crimp housing