1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Crimp hole

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DentyneIce, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DentyneIce

DentyneIce TS Member

Hey all, I have a Mec 9000G 12G size using AA hulls (the grey ones) and there's a little hole in my crimp. Now, I have seen other threads about lowering the pre-crimp starter a little however, I was wondering if I have to bother at all since #9 shot is still too big for the hole.

dentyneice_2011_29051.jpg

dentyneice_2011_29052.jpg

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Do you have a operators manual??

If you don't go on line and download it and it will tell you where and what adjustments to make.

Station 5 is where your going to have to start and once you've got that made, you might have to make changes at the final crimp.

Good Luck!

3. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,,

My MEC manual recommends to lower the cam adjustment about 1/32 .
    Doesn't sounds like much of an adjustment, they should know ?

Some re-loading manuals prefer a solid crimp to build - up resistance
    before the powder starts the shot down the barrel.

hwy13_2010_200838.jpg

hwy13_2010_200839.jpg

4. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

That is not a bad looking crimp. However if it was mine I would lower the main crimp die a little(The one after the Started Crimp) Perhaps a 1/2 or 3/4 of a turn. And then try a few reloads through it. You can get them to come out looking like a brand new shell for the first four or five reloads. I wish there was someway I could take a picture of a shell I have sitting on my desk here at work to show you. Do not be afraid to play around a little with adjustments. You can get your reloads to look like new shells. It will also teach you about your reloader by playing with it some. I was afraid to make adjustments when I first got mine. Now I have no fear of it. I mostly reload Remington STS, Nitro, Remington Peters(blue Hulls) and Federal Papers depending on wither I am reloading Singles or Handicap loads. I have it down to where I just raise or lower my crimp started die and change from a smooth crimp starter to an eight point one to go from Federal Papers to Remingtons and my reloads with a "low milage" hull look as good as new shells. Do not be afraid to make adjustments to your reloader. It will make you abetter reloader. May be frustrating at times but you will be a better relaoder for doing it.

Jim Bradbury

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Nice manicure! You can tell that the crimp is higher on the hull then original. You may need to lower both to make up the distance. As stated not much, because the distance needed is coming in from both sides.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You're crimp depth is too shallow and you'll need to come down and mentioned by Jim. Ideally you want your crimp depth at about .055" +/- .003. The added crimp depth may solve your crimping issue so with that said set your crimp depth first load a few. If you are still experiencing a hole refer to HWY13's information. Remember, it does not take much movement to close up the crimp.

Bryan

7. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

I have found that the gray AA hulls are in various lengths. If you take several and line them up on your reloading bench you find they are not consistent lengths. If you adjust your loader to get perfect crimps it will only last until you get into another one of there varios production lengths. I found the best way to correct the problem is to purchase and load federal gold medals!

Hope this helps

M Taylor shotgunner50

8. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hey Flincher100,,

Quit picking on my re-loader, my neighbor and myself only horse trade the good stuff, no flea market junk in our man caves, just the unusual & seldom seen.

hwy13_2010_200840.jpg

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If the shot don't fall out,shoot it. You get nothing extra for good looks. Clyde

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There are a couple fixes here. The cam adj per hwy13 is the right one. Be careful here, a little goes a long way. If you go the wrong way the hole gets bigger.

the proper adj for the pre crimp is to have the hole a little smaller than a lead pencil after that stage. Check that first. Then do the cam. If you lower the crimpong punch for more depth you will have to do the cam again.

13, either that's a prehistoric loader or you stole the sctew from your kid's bike.

When in doubt read the manual. If you don't have one they are on line. If you do not have a computer call MEC.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
9000g mec reloading gold medals
crimps mec 9000
hole in crimp
mec 9000 adjustments

mec 9000g crimp cam punch

mec cam crimp punch adjustments on a 9000g

mec hole in middle
mec hole in middle of crimp