1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mec 9000g concern

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leftex, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

My 9000g barely engages the charge bar lock. I'm talking about .030 or .040. What can I do to give a little deeper bite on the bar?
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Here's what I do:

If you look right in the middle of the press, there's a rod which actuates the "hook" as shown in the picture above. If you follow that rod down, there is a piece of metal that goes around it, which is connected to the powder drop tube. Put a flat head screwdriver on the part that encircles the "rod", and give it a few whacks w/ a hammer, bending it down. You should be good to go. The part that i'm referring to that your trying to bend down is the "trip rod bracket", part #42 in this pic: http://mecreloaders.com/Order/9000GPartsList.asp#42

hope this helps... Not 100% sure this is the "right" way to do this, but its worked 100% of the time for me...

3. fishguts

fishguts Member

I had the same trouble, I played with the spring that holds the lock down and it corrected itself.

Wayne

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I just removed mine and that took care of the problem.

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Make sure the clamp that regulates the amount of spring pressure on the primer/powder drop tube is tight and has not allowed that tube to change adjustment. If it has, that will change the amount of engagement on your "charge bar lock".

Mine loosened twice, doing exactly what is happening to you. Put a fired hull complete with spent primer in that station, cycle the press all the way to the bottom, and study the linkage that actuates the lock. I think you will see what needs to changed.

Bending the "trip rod bracket" is an option if nothing else has moved.

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Show us a picture with the handle with the handle down......GOOD LUCK

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Kinda what fishguts said, just attempt to uncoil the spring a little to give it more tension. I even bought a second spring and mounted them both in place. Also make sure that star washer isn't binding the lock and that it moves freely. 'bout the only time you get to see it work is when you run out of empties, but if it doesn't latch the bar it's shot-city. Good luck.

9. leftex

leftex Active Member

Ian, thanks for the suggestion. I would rather figure out the root cause of the problem and fix it correctly.

fishguts, my spring seems ok. What did youy do to yours?

Auctioneer, how do you contend with the powder that is dropped after the last shell has passed the "reprime/powder charge" station?

Paladin, the spring pressure is adjusted per the manual. With AA hulls there is the 3/16" gap under the clamp.It almost makes me think the trip rod is too long.

Shady Creek, I will post a picture with the handle down in a few minutes.

jcl,I don't think MEC is open on the weekend or I would have called them first. I don't think bending things should be necessary.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. If I don't get it fixed properly today, I will call MEC tomorrow or Tuesday.
    Wayne

10. leftex

leftex Active Member

jcl,here is the pic.
    [​IMG]

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

3/16 is a lot. I have had primers seat too deeply with that much. You need to seat the primer and that is all. If you adjust the powder drop tube up a bit the latch will engage better.

There, no bending. Feel better? (I bend mine if it's necessary)

HM

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

leftex,

The MEC manual gives 5 reasons why this could happen. Per your two pictures, I don't believe you have a problem with the first four.

The fifth reason is "Reprime tube set too low". It's very easy to loosen the clamp and raise the reprime tube some. At least you could try it and see the effect.

Also, as HM said, slightly bending the trip rod bracket is so easy, and works so well. It's NOT a big deal to bend it.

13. leftex

leftex Active Member

I caved in and whacked the bracket. It is a little better.
    thanks,
    Wayne

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The long rod immediately below where the shot bottle is connected to the loader may be an issue.

At the lower end of this rod is a small nut. Adjust the nut up about 1/2 turn and see what happens. On My MEC Grabber, this would cause the charge bar lock to contact the charge bar a little higher.

This is a sensitive adjustment so be prepared to experiment with the powder and shot bottles removed. You may have to adjust up or down as there is a "sweet spot" where everything works as designed. Once you find the "sweet spot" add a second nut from the bottom to keep the top nut in the "sweet spot".

That said, whenever I am completing the shot drop on my last shell, out of habit I make sure that the charge bar lock is engaged.

This is also a good time to remind you to install a large baking sheet under your loader do that spilled powder and/or shot don't go all over the place when a spill occurs.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec trip rod

mec trip rod binding