1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G Collet Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Has anyone here ever had to replace a collet for a MEC 9000G that was not broken (I.E. no collet fingers broken, etc.)? I've talked to MEC service about this and Ron told me that sometimes the collet will actually have to be replaced despite the fact that they are not broken in any way. I've actually got two of them that are not broken, perfectly clean, and look like they both just came out of the package, but just don't seem to function correctly. It bulges the end of the brass when knocking primers out despite all of the adjustments being perfectly set, lubed correctly, wad guide completely removed, no shot lodged anywhere, etc., and it requires excessive pressure to do it. The collet(s) just won't function as designed.

I would just like to know if anyone else out there has ever had to finally replace what appears to be a perfectly good collet with a new one?

Thanks in advance.

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

shell lifter out of adj.

adjustment is on wad guide rod shell not going to bottom of collet i think????

jpark

3. Jon Reitz

Mollyone,

All I asked was whether or not anyone out there ever had to replace a collet that was not broken.

Respectfully,

Jon Reitz

4. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

No - not yet after more than 10 years

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NO never. Molly has good advice, the rim of the shell has to fit in the groove provided inside the collet, and if the shell does not go low enough your bulged end will be the result.

If your wad guide is too low it will hit the shell before the empty is low enough to fit in that recess.

I would look if I were you. IF an empty machine (no rounds in process) sizes a shell ok that will be a clue.

HM

6. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Replacing a collet without a broken finger or obvious damage is not the answer. It's an adjustment or piece of shot falling into the collet that causes the bulging. Look at the wad adjustment guide and everything else that is impacted by or impacts the collet, watch to see the hull fall all the way into the collet before applying pressure. If it doesn't fall all the way it will bulge.

7. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I have had to replace a collet that "appeared" not to be damaged. It caused the same problem you describe. The problem was that I tightened the collet adjusting nut too tight which in turn bent the collet fingers inward. This resulted in the hull not falling all the way before it came in contact with the fingers resulting in the the bottom of the hull being pushed out by the deprimer punch.

Try a new collet and don't tighten the adjustment nut too much. Test a couple of shells and see that they fit into the chamber of your gun. If they do don't tighten any more. This resolved my problem. I hope this helps.

8. Jon Reitz

What claycruncher said above makes sense. And if that's the case, now I'm wondering if I can remove the collet and push it down over something a bit larger than its ID and stretch it out some. Probably worth a try.

Anyone else?

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Never had to replace collet. Have been able to fix.

10. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Jon,

I just replaced the collet in my loader. Once they get stretched out of shape they will no longer resize the shell correctly.If you are reloading steel base shells they will not last long. If the shell is getting bulged this is caused from the shell not dropping all the way to the bottom of the resizer.Be sure you have your wad tube set at the proper depth, this too will cause the shell to bulge because it works in conjunction with the resizer. I finally called Mec on this problem and this is what I was told by one of the techs. I change the collet and ajusted the ram tube and the problem went away.

Dennis

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've never needed to replace one that wasn't broken. Usually a proper cleaning, lubrication, and adjustement will cure the issues. When installing a new one, you would make the needed adjustments, it would be clean, and if you install it right, it would also be properly lubricated. Proper lubrication and adjustment would most likely help prevent undue wear or breakage.

It's possible that one could wear or deform enough to become unuseable, but I've never worn one out or "bent" one. Never broken one either, but I've seen them break on other people's presses. I've got 9000's, Grabbers, and sizers that get a lot of use.

12. Jon Reitz

I have received a lot of input from several sources. Thanks to all for that.

Last night I tried stretching these two collets back out, and it worked. Well one did, and they other needs to go a bit further. Now the loaders function correctly. It definitely proved that this was in fact the problem. Over time, I can see where they may wander back to the smaller inside diameter, just due to the "memory facter" in the steel, especially reloading steel base shells, as mentioned above.

Another lesson for all interested is to only turn the collet closure nut as much as your tightest chambered gun requires. Otherwise, that will also cause the collet to "shrink" in size, which makes sense.

So maybe new collets will be required, and maybe not. Time will tell.

13. Jon Reitz

I finally fixed the problem on both machines last night. No new parts were required. I made a simple jig to expand the collets / fingers back out. Over time they tend to compress to the point where the hull will not drop down into them freely. I let them set for a period of time to help with "memory" in the metal. I did not heat them.

I kept the collet resizing nut setting to a bare minimum because 1) my guns are break action and 2) tightening it unnecessarily only tends to compress the collet fingers which can cause the problem(s) I was having.

There is a possibility that down the road these collets may need to be replaced. The memory in that metal could possibly return to it's smaller inside diameter. Only time will tell.

Thanks to MEC customer service and all who replied for their help.

Jon Reitz

Ron,
    Please thank Dale Gourly at MEC for me. You guys were a lot of help and I'm glad I stuck with MEC.

Thanks,
    Jon Reitz

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

John Reitz how did you make the jig to bend the fingers out, explain if possible.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. Jon Reitz

It's just a wooden one for now. I started by pushing a 3/4" extended socket into the collet, but you can gain more "spread" by inserting a smaller extended socket (7/16" maybe) into the smaller ID further down in the collet. The first time I tried it, the collet did not retain the size I needed. The second time I let it set for 3-4 hours and that did the trick.

The wooden jig is a large dowel, now tapered to fit the bore as needed to get the collet to spread. I was going to replace that by turning down a metal one with the same dimensions, but it may not "grab" as well as the wooden one did. So I think I will wait for now to see if the problem returns. Time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
lubing collet on mec 9000g
mec 9000 adjustments

mec 9000 brass bulge

mec 9000 bulges bottom of shell when re-sizing

mec 9000 collet adjustment

mec collet resizer 9000g
mec loaders primers not falling into set assemble
mec reloader collet adjustment