1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000G 12 ga Problem !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Blakester, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Hello, My reloader just started rounding the brass part, sizing the hull, hard to pull handle down, If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it..
    Thanks; Ricky

2. TomP

TomP TS Member

My loader started to do the same (P/W 375c) and it turned out to be the AA hulls. I went to STS's and no more resizing troubles. So try different hulls!

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have some shot stuck in your resizing collet. That would be the first place I'd look.

You also may need to clean the little thing that goes up and down that your shell sits on in station one. Don't know the name of it. It's inside of the collet.

Just pull it straight up and clean it off as it may be sticking a little because of all the crud that drops down into that hole.

4. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

I have already tryed that, STS , Gold 27 ,Red AA and the Grey AA

5. new loader

new loader Member

Do you mean the brass is actually changing shape? Not sure what you mean by "rounding the brass".

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When the handle is hard to pull something is wrong. Stop pulling the handle down until you find out what is wrong. A good place to start is to take all the hulls out of the machine and give the machine a good cleaning. That usually solves the problem.

Sometimes this problem is caused by spent primers backing up in the tube or tray where you catch them. HMB

7. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I have had this problem. The resolution was cleaning the seat where the deprime tube slides thru the collet. The tube isn't falling to the bottom and holding the shell up. You can adjust the drop tube with the nut on the front of the loader as well but it is rare for this to suddenly move out of adjustment.

8. tlea

tlea TS Member

It doesn't fall out of adjustment, just gets dirty. The brass blisters out on the bottom because the hull is not falling to the bottom. The pin is sticking. Most likely someone oiled it and it's gummed with powder residue.

9. cwh

cwh TS Member

Just grime in the collet. Brush in some mineral spirits and check for shot between the fingers of the collet. Once all is clean you will need to apply grease to the outside of the collet. I've found STOS works as well as the grease sold by MEC. Don't apply grease to the inside of the collet.

Regards,

CW

10. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Get a maintenance kit from MEC, it has all the tools you need to up keep your
    machines, Your primer drop tube is sticking so its holding the shell up causing that bulge. Clean the collet spaces,it has junk between them. I use the
    pick a thin taper rod with a 90 at the end to go between the spaces.
    Good luck, shoot well; pineapple

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's a collet problem alright. The hull isn't able to drop to the bottom of the collet. The part of the collet that does the resizing is now grabbing the rim of the shell (very well) and when you pull down hard in the handle, the deprimer is actually trying to shove it's way through the bottom of the shell. If it is occasional, the collet is probably dirty inside. If it happens all the time the primer exit tube isn't allowing the empty to drop. As you lower the handle, see if the empty drops to the bottom.

Also,

You don't have a built up pile of spent primers under the exit tube do you? If you do, drill a hole in your reloading bench, now!

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is a groove on the inside of the collet to accomodate the rim of the hull.

The shell is lowered by the piece it sits on, which, incidentally is hooked to the wad guide holding rod.

All the above advice is true........PLUS.....If the wad guide does not go down on the shell the plate will also not drop down enough to have the rim in the clearance groove.

With the press empty lower the handle and grab the rod the wad guide is mounted on. When you move it up and down the shell platform will follow. Primers stuck underneath will cause the problem too.

HM

13. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Thanks guys their was crud in the collett,cleaned it and solved the problem .
    Don't know what I would do without this site.. RICKY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.