1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000E vs. MEC9000H

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by stskid, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stskid

stskid TS Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my reloading capabilities to a MEC 9000E or MEC 9000H.

Any comments or experiences you could share on either unit would be appreciated.

Rick Reading

2. rsikole

rsikole Member

I purchased a 9000H about 5 months ago and I like it real well. I have reloaded about 25 flats with it by now. It is a fast reloader (compared to my sizemaster), and I equipped it with a universal charge bar. It has its little quirks:

1. You may need to make some fine adjustments to it to make it run its best. The manual explains the adjustments pretty well, but a quick call to MEC is a good idea for one on one help to keep it running its best.
    2. You may need to add some furniture polish to the primer tray every 1000 shells or so to keep the primers moving reliably.
    3. Watch to make sure a primer drops every time. You'll save yourself some grief until you figure out how to keep the primers dropping reliably.

Overall I am very happy with the loader and its repeatability and relibility.

Rob

3. Shilo

Shilo TS Member

get a automate you will love it other than that go by the book
    for reloading and use only mec parts do not use a universal charge bar
    and speed is not a big deal i have fun loading shells very quite
    and fast you can load 4 to 5 hundred an hour very easy,,and you
    still can hear the wife and tv. have a good day,,,

4. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

I have as hydraulic 9000 and a Automate 9000, one set up for 1 oz and the other for 1 1/8. Take your choice....7 1/2's or 8's.
    The hydraulic could be called slightly faster but then just one mistake on your part and it's even up. I like both.

Larry

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rick, I don't own one or the other, but from what I have seen on this website alone makes it a hands down winner for the E. I have seen alot of Hydrolics on sale here over the last two years alone. Even some of the G's as well, as some like to sell off there old unit to buy the combo at a better price and not to have to re-set up their older unit to the automate. Some people are not mech's if you know what I mean. Their is much less noise with the automate, and if your inside their is no worries about a hose blow out and oil everywhere as well. As said above, about the same speed, but I have heard that the automate's keep a very constant down pressure every time and the hydro's lack that constant stroke. Now that's from loaders I know. Now make your own choice, and Break-em all. Jeff

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have used a hydraulic for 25 years now. An old 76H Hustler. Love it. Now that I am older it sure saves a lot of wear & tear on the body. 20 ga is not so bad on my Grabber,smaller shells,less force,not so many loaded. The motor/pump is a bit noisy is all. Have not tried electric.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've tweaked and modified one of my 9000Hs into a very slick operation! I have 2 9000Hs along with two hand pull models for 12 and 20 ga. hunting loads. The hydraulics suit my needs to a "T"!!

Hap

8. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Come on guys... your telling him to go with the hydraulic upgrade over the automate! If you think one is better than the other...say why.

I have yet to see a post where anyone wishes they didnt buy the 9000E (automate). IMO..there is no reason to consider the old hydraulic system....BUT..I have never used the hydro unit.

9. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

one thing not menntioned above is portability. the e doesent have to be bolted down. It s easy to pick it up and move to another location llike the club to help the kids load up a bunch of shells.
    because of its smooth operation it also seems to have very consistent powder drops as compared to my other loaders. good luck on making up your mind.

Bob

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Also, if you get into different gauges and buy a loader for each, you can switch them on one AutoMate in minutes. I don't know if you can do that with a hydraulic system.

My nephew had a 9000H and loved it until I got my 9000GN and converted it a 9000E four or five years ago. He thought he'd better sell the H right away while there was still a market for it - that's how impressed that hydraulic user was with the AutoMate.

Ed

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I like the hydro because you can put the hull in wad in and use the foot pedal. With the E you need to get one hand over the the button.

GS

12. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

I've loaded on both. The hydro wins hands down.

BR1

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Have used a 9000H in 12 ga for well over ten years with zero issues. Can't speak to the Automate model but the hydraulic has a lot more track record. Have hydraulic grabbers in the sub-gauges.

14. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I have the MEC9000H and haven't used the Automate. I like the hydraulic unit because my hands are free to grab a hull and wad at the same time. Some units require the use of one (or two) hands to push a button for the downstroke.

My hydraulic unit puts out very consistent powder drops.

The best thing you could do is find someone that has each loader and go watch them load for awhile and see how it works.

You probably can't go wrong with either, because it will eliminate your need to pull the handle.

Jeff

15. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

+1 for what bobcatv said.
    No brainer using both feet and hands to load, quicker and easier.

16. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

One word,automate. Old tech. vs New tech .I'll say no more........

17. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The decision was easy for me, after listening to the hydraulic. The Auto-Mate is smooth, quiet, reliable and portable.

18. THE-PLUMBER

THE-PLUMBER TS Member

the old tech still out does the automate.most people that bought the automate were to cheap to buy it right the first time.have three reloaders and with a quick flick of a lever, i'm running a different loader.can't do that with the automate.

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Hydro easy to change gauges,much faster than a Automate. Just use a quick disconnect,snap off---snap on. I agree about the Hydro noise. I keep mine on a piece of thick carpet,helps some. Both hands free are impt to me. Very easy to control the up/down movement with the foot. Since I have not used a 'Mate,cannot make a comparison.

20. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

To cheap? The prices were and are comparable. I have three 9000's and two Auto-mate's. Without the optional support bar installed, they can be changed out in less than 45 seconds if you want to get fussy about it. A cross pin and two thumb screws, that's it.

But I would not reload without the support bars installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

9000e vs h