1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000E questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lovemy99, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I am relatively new to this forum and have come to respect the opinions and advice of many on this site. I have looked at past threads on this subject, but I want some input from current owners of MEC 9000E loaders.

I am going to be purchasing one of these machines this week and wondered if you guys would care to offer some advice as far as set up, little tricks that you have learned, etc. I have a couple of 9000Gs that I have loaded on for years, so I am not a newby.

Also, does anyone have any buyer's remorse over purchasing a 9000E (and later wishing you hadn't, for whatever reason).

I look forward to seeing your responses. Thanks, Scott!

2. gregt

gregt TS Member

I added an automate to my 9000 last fall and have been extremely happy with it. Spent my first winter with it and wish I would have bought the 9000E right from the git go. Not much to tell you if you have experience with the 9000 you will not have any problems with the new set up. Probably just be like me and wonder why it took so long.

3. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I have been loading on the 9000E for awhile now and I like it alot. I will give you the same advice that was given me when I purchased mine.

- First make sure that the flywheel is as tight on the motor's shaft as you can get it (use some loctite of you have it).

- Next, check that the 2 flywheel sensors (magnets) on the Automate's flywheel are tight.

- Now once you get the Automate all set up and working properly with your press: Go over ALL the nuts and bolts you touched on the press AND the Automate assembly and make sure they are tight.

- Next, double check the bolts that attach the flywheel to the pull rod and the press are tight.

- Now go to your nearest auto store and buy a box of BUSS 1 amp fuses and put one of those into the fuse holder instead of the 3/4 amp fuse that it comes with.

- Your Automate should now work for hundreds of thousands of shells without any problems.

And trust me - This extra time spent now, WILL save your lots of time later on.

You can also buy the conversion kits for your other 9000 and use them on your automate.

I hope this helped you. Rick

4. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. Rick, those are great tips. I will certainly do all of those.

Keep 'em coming folks. The more the better!

5. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

6. LAD39

LAD39 Member

Scott I have 9000E and I have 9000H I can load 3X as many in same time with 9000H.Hope this helps. Ladder 39

7. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Ladder 39<

Do you feel that the difference is because the Hydro. unit has a foot pedal? I have heard that this frees up your hands and can make things happen a little faster.

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Go on u-tube and look up Mec Automate and Hydraulic. The factory has demo's on both machines. I have the hydraulic and have two friends go to the Automate and come back because of the speed. Another stayed with the Automate because it's portable and it is quite. Both have their own benefits and draw backs. It's whatever an individual is happy with. Both are good systems.

Ajax

9. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

10. Terribletwins

Terribletwins Member

Just bought one - literally. set it up & ran about 300 shells through it on thursday night - worked great. went to reload some more on saturday...ran about 20 shells & then blew a fuse. replaced it - blew the second one almost immediately - no idea why....& the shells had half indexed round - tilted the shot & powder bottles back (both full) & then started to get the shells out of the press - shot bottle comes loose - 1/4 bottle of shot everywhere!!!!

3 hours later, everything cleaned up, put the 3rd & last fuse that came with the machine in...power light lights up, but the machine is completely dead.

will be calling gamaliel & mec tomorrow - am not a happy bunny!!!

11. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Like some of the other posters B-U-Y A heavier fuse, other than that great loader....Ron

12. Terribletwins

Terribletwins Member

Ron...will do, but machine is now Kaput - 3rd fuse works (power light comes on) but not a peep from the machine when I press the buttons,

David

13. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

David.... make sure you are not in the maintenance mode. If it is in this mode the lights will work and the machine will not run. Hope this is all it is. Rick

14. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Why would you put a heavier amp fuse in a circuit designed for smaller? That's like putting 50 amp breakers on house wiring. Did MEC tell you to this?

15. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Re Fuse issue. I have used my 2004 original Automate for 7 years. Buttons on the side. I load 100 shells in 15 minutes. Came from the original Iowa mfr with a quick fire 1 amp fuse from Radio shack. For good reason. But I knew better and put in a higher 2 amp fuse. <Should have stayed with the 1 amp.>

The electric motor on the unit, like all electric motors, develops its max torque instantly and keeps it there at what ever RPM the motor runs. The motor on the Automate is strong enough to easily bend the 3/8 inch steel threaded rod on stations 5 and 6 if the shell is not placed properly,... and a higher 2 amp fuse is used. I bent both because I used a higher amp fuse and the shell was not flat on the base for some unknown reason. Am convinced it would not have happened if 1 amp fuse was used. Am also now back to the 1 amp fuse and am resigned to the fact that the machine will burn out 1 amps from time to time. But no more bent parts.

I did not know MEC put in a 3/4 Amp fuse in the newer model. Mine runs fine with a quick fire 1 Amp. But it will fire from time to time. Just keep a few on hand. They are very cheap. And quick to change, at least on the original.

Terribletwins, I can’t help with your prob. Am interested what the MEC people say. Let us know.

Love my 99: Over all, you will love the machine.

16. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

"Why would you put a heavier amp fuse in a circuit designed for smaller? That's like putting 50 amp breakers on house wiring. Did MEC tell you to this? "

When I first got my 9000E, it came of course, with the 3/4 amp fuse. During my initial set up and testing, the machine blew several fuses, sometimes even without a test load or shells in the loader. I called and talked to MEC about this, and MEC advised me to use 1 amp fuses rather than the orginal 3/4 amp fuses. The reason for this, according to MEC, was that some of the motors used had a slightly different loading tolerance, and would easily blow a 3/4 amp fuse, so required a 1 amp fuse for reliable operation. Some of the motors supplied, however worked fine with the 3/4 amp fusing.

In the years I have been using this 9000E with 1 amp fuse, I have never blown another fuse, nor had any problems with loader through many thousands of shells reloaded. While it is not the fastest powered reloader available, it is one of quietest and most reliable, when properly used. It is easily controlled, saves a lot of wear and tear on the shoulder, and makes great looking (and shooting) reloads. One thing I would recommend is to buy the accessory large buttom covers for the switches. These are much easier to push and much less tiring on the thumb or fingers.

Jim R

17. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Thanks Jim, There's your answer Yak. Hey Yak how does your 9000E run on a 3/4 amp fuse? Rick

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Another consideration.......

Don't buy fuses at Radio Shack. They will blow in a New York minute.

I was buying them and blowing them and someone suggested I go to a hardware store and buy Bussman fuses.

Guess what, I have not blown another fuse since I started using them.

Good Luck.

The Automate is a heck of an add on!

Hauxfan!

19. Terribletwins

Terribletwins Member

Spoke to Mec this morning. They believe something was interfering with the down stroke & so pressure caused the fuse to blow. Not sure I buy this arguement for the first fuse that blew, but it does make sense for the 2nd one as everything was out of place - I guess when a fuse blows, one should start off by pressing the right button only to return the press to the home postion before one does everything else?

Secondly, they said that they were shipping all their machines with a 1 Amp fuse now...they are sending me a couple gratis, so when I get home, will chage the one in the machine for these just to be sure (I have only had the machine a couple of weeks).

thirdly - followed Rick's advice - machine wasn't kaput, but had goone into maintenance mode.

David

20. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

Huxfan, thanks for the info on the Bussman fuse. Will give them a go.

BTW Jim R, no one suggested I go to a 2 amp fuse. Just the way some of us are. MEC now go w/ the 1 Amp. Perhaps you should tell them.

Terribletwins. I agree with what MEC said about the down stroke. That is when all the work is done. Should be no resistance to the motor on the upstroke at all. On my machine, when the fuse blows, it is on the down stroke and it comes to a complete stop. Pushing either button after that is useless, until a new fuse is replaced. Now, my 2004 unit came with two fuses: a 7 Amp and a 1 Amp. Only the 1 amp blows. Is the current unit equipped with two fuses or only one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.