1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000E automate reloader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moore5833, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Anybody out there got one of these? do you like it? Mostly i want to know do you have to hold the buttons down thru the whole cycle-or only on the downstroke-and let off to get a wad and empty ready?

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I have one and love it.

The newer ones from Mec, you have to hold the buttons down until the reloader reaches bottom...........(I think)

I have one of the older (before Mec) models and I don't have to do that.

But you should still have time to grab an empty shell and wad and be ready to insert them when the reloader has finished making a shell.

Having one of these Automates sure takes the work out of reloading.

Go for it, you'll like it.

Hauxfan!

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Can you mount an existing 9000G on the auto-mate? I'm sure there would besome kind of modifications. Bulge.

4. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Mec has the linkage kit listed on their parts sheet @ their web site. $48 I think it was.

Jim

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Barrell Budge.

Yes you can update an existing 9000G but I advise against it. Went through hell last summer doing and and will not do it again. You are better off buying a complete set up new.

Tom

6. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

I just got mine while down at the Silver Dollar. Just bought the automate itself and a friend of mine who has one, installed it for me on my existing 9000G. It works like a charm!. Yes, you do have to hold both buttons down till the machine reaches the bottom of the cycle and then you can release them. The cycle is slow enough to allow you plenty of time to grab a new hull and wad and have them both ready when the machine quites cycling. I have found that I get a higher quality reload since the machine cycles the same everytime and the dwell time at the bottom is the same each stroke so you get a more constant powder and shot drop. The only thing I have had to do to mine is adjust the the primer depth for some reason. Go for it, you will enjoy it..

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Yes, you can convert an existing 9000 to Automate system. The Automate, plus the linkage system you will need to buy, come with detailed instructions on all the various changes and adjustments you will need to make. They are fairly involved, but if you read the instructions thoroughly before you begin, and follow them (that is the important part), it really is not too difficult. Make some tinkering to get it all adjusted but it is worth it. Easier, of course, to sell your standard 9000, and just buy the 9000E which is already set up for the Automate. The buttons must be held through the downstroke, then released. The timing on the upstroke gives you plenty of time to pick up a hull in the left hand, and a wad in the right, and insert them just as the upstroke finishes. Then press the buttons, hold through another downstroke, and repeat the entire process. Really is a great system, and makes really nice, consistent loads. Since the electric motor always moves at the same speed and with the same force, powder drops are more even and consistent shell to shell, so overall it really does make better more consistent loads, which is always an objective in reloading. Would not trade my Automate system for any other reloader out there now.

Jim R

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Thanks for the feedback-going to pick one up tommorrow. PerryM

9. loweight

loweight Member

I have one of the first models and have it set up for 85 series grabber,20 ga, 76 series grabber, 28, 410 and a 650 12ga. I have the rods (4) set up for each gauge 12, 20, 28 and 410. Had it set up for a 9000, but did not like the 9000 and sold it.
    Bobby

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

How did you get the 76 grabber to fit? Did you have to build extensions on the platform?

Ajax

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I sent my 9000G to MEC. I gave them the components I use and told them to set the whole deal up with a new automate. It gives absolutely consistant reloads and is smooth as glass. I am very happy.

JON

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

For Ajax: All you have to do is drill one extra hole in the 76 Grabber base on the left side. The base sticks out over the activating button but it isn't a problem. You can also use a Hustler if you cut a groove for the connecting rod where the hydraulic piston connects to the base. Ron

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Ron, wouldn't the connecting rods be different lengths for the 85 grabber vs the 76 grabber? Due to the bases being different heights.

Thanks,
    Ajax

14. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Just a question. I thought I read somewhere that there is some sort of a conversion kit available that allows you to just push one button instead of two. Can anyone comment on this please?

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jon, I've never heard of such a kit. Mine is an Automate II and I had several long conversations with machine inventor Jim Benn while arranging to have one shipped to me one to test (I liked it so much that I bought it). Jim told me he wanted to make sure a finger could not be in the machine when it was activated, thus the two buttons. MEC took Jim's precaution a step farther by making the operator hold the buttons down.

If I hold one button down on mine, the machine goes into "service" mode and will cycle only as long as I hold that button down and will stop anywhere when I release that button. Holding it down again lets it move, again only as long as the button is depressed.

Ed

16. RTI4444

RTI4444 Member

Recently bought a new 12g 9000E with Automate and works great. Also bought the larger buttons, which are a bit easier to press. I like the idea of pressing both buttons at once during downstroke for safety, as I am a surgeon and hate nicking up my fingers. I also converted 20g and 28g 9000GNs without too much difficulty. The MEC website has clearer color pictures than the supplied B&W manual. Gamaliels had very good prices, and the Automate/9000E came in 48 hours.

Richard

17. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Don't get me wrong and I'am not trying to preach, but that two button hold down is for your own good as I'am sure you are aware of. We had a guy rework the unit to save time with only one button. Needless to say it almost cost him his right index finger. Press came down when his finger was still over the wad guide , took the end of his finger off. What's that Blue Collar saying, oh yah, you can't fix stupid.

18. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a new one, it works great but the motor is almost impossible to turn by hand to get back to the start position if you have any sort of foul up, I have to keep a 3/8 ratchet with extension on hand just for this purpose, the motors are made in china, I called mec about it, they were out of motors (of course), I think the guy said they would replace it, it wasnt a very professional conversation, the whole time I was on the phone with him he was obvisouly talking to a co worker and also I could actually hear him typing on his computer while I was trying to get info from him.. he said when they came in he would let me know.. strange thing, he never asked for my name or contact number.. I guess they have a phone system that tells them who I am.. so far I havent heard anything from him.. that was 2 months ago..

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't know where MEC sources their motors. Jim Benn had some that leaked and mine did about a month after I bought it. Jim sent me an exchange machine that he said was equipped with a motor from another source and it has been leak-free for six(?) years now. It also is a little quieter than the original one but that one wasn't what I'd call "loud."

On rare occasions, I must exert pressure on my loader's operating linkage when reaching around it to get something because I've had a few instances where the "Top" position light doesn't illuminate when I switch the Automate on. Moving the rod takes some force but I found it easier to reach under and into the unit and move the crankwheel a small amount until the light comes on.

Ed

20. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

All,

Thanks for the clarification. So I guess having to press two buttons (larger now) is no big deal and certainly safer. Ed and I talked about these a while back and I'm probably leaning toward the purchase of a new one from MEC with the Automate already installed. But it will be later in the year, once the dems (never capitalized) straighten out the two or three, or four or five, messes we currently have stinking up the economy. Pigs do fly, don't they?

Jon Reitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 e

mec 9000e

mec 9000e automate for sale

mec 9000e for sale

mec 9000e reloader
mec reloader 9000e any good
mec reloader want complete downstroke
why cant i convert a mec 9000 20g to a 12g