1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mec 9000?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have decided to get into reloading, mainly for economic reasons. Retirement is just around the corner and I want to continue shooting regularly without too much of a crimp to the wallet. My friends and acquaintances seem to think the MEC 9000 series is the way to go. Any thoughts or suggestions on this topic?
    Bill in MI

2. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

3. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

you will love that retirement, enjoy it. I retired in 2001 and will be 72 in dec. I like you had been away from trap shooting for over 35 years. and 3 years ago started up again. loving it.I purchased a mec. grabber 3 years ago on ebay. and live about 1 hour from mayville wi. where mec is made, so I took the grabber up there to have it looked over and up dated. while there I was looking at the 9000, and asked them to show it to me. well guess what I left with it. I have loaded between 9 and 10 thousand rounds with it and have had no trouble. altho I do take it apart about every 2000 rounds and clean it. blow air around all the fittings ect. and keep it greased, to me it has been flawless. now there will be others who will suggest another loader but in my eyes dollar for dollar Iam happy. good luck Ed Ackley

4. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have love mine. Except I recently tried to make a one ounce load and have had trouble with the longer one ounce wads. In order to get the longer wad in, I had to adjust some things and now there are alot of snaps and pops when I pull the handle, not sure what the problem is. I am sure this is my fault and do nto have it adjusted correctly for the longer wad, so yes it is a great reloader and generally dummy proof, oh wait... lol

5. t901

t901 Member

I to just got into reloading a got a 9000g I love it works great and is easy to use but I wish I would have gotten a 9000H my arm starts to hurt after a while of pulling.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Dollar for dollar, the MEC 9000 is, in my opinion, about the best buy in fully progressives reloaders you can get. It will give you great service for many, many years if taken care of. If you want to spend a bit more, get the 9000E with the MEC Automate system. Using an electric drive really adds ease to the process. I got the Automate version sometime back since I have problems with repetitive shoulder movement required to use the operating handle, and as far as I am concerned the Automate is the only way to go. Not as fast as the hydraulic, but much quieter and plenty fast. Also, unlike the hydraulic system, fully portable (in fact even the basic 9000 needs to be bolted down.) The 9000 with Automate does not.

Jim R

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I bought an almost new 9000G for - really - $75 from a shooter who only uses P-W. It was out of adjustment, but after a little cleaning and "fine tuning" it cranks out all loads - 7/8 to 1 1/8 with change of charge bar and bushing. Great loader! Regards, Ed

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

In my never to be humble opinion (IMNTBHO), the best SHOT SHELL press out there. The Mec is made from the ground up to load shot shells, with all their special needs and peculiarities, and is not a copy of or a converted metallic loader.

I have sold, serviced, and repaired about every brand. I load shot shells only on a Mec 9000 GN.