1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 9000 target load woes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by browntown, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browntown

browntown TS Member

Hey guys, I've recently picked up a mec 9000 for loading 12 gauge loads for my growing trap addiction. I don't shoot registered trap, mostly games with the old guys at the club (mostly 22-27yrds with full choke). Anywho, when I bought the used 9000 it had the aftermarket adjustable bar and baffle on it which I ended up taking off because it was problematic and seemed inconsistent. Here's the problems:
    I want 1 1/8 loads (492gr)and the
    1 1/8 bar throws about 463-470 grains of 7.5 shot (20-30gr light)
    1 3/16 bar throws about 505-512 grains (~15-20gr heavy)
    Since I'm not shooting in competition, I have no actual weight limit. I think to be a little heavy is better than a lot light. What is the performance setback of an extra 15 grains of shot? 50fps? Anyone else use the 1 3/16 bar for 1 1/8 loads?

Second question, is when I flip the bottles back I can see grains of powder (old hercules green dot) stuck on the walls of the new bushing. I've read the fights over static, but was just wondering if those ten kernels on the bushing are going to change much.

My guess is that once the powder absorbs a little humidity and the bushing gets a dust coating this problem will go away. Anyone have a thought on that?

Thanks, sorry for the long message, I'm new at this.

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

browntown:

Fixed bars tend to throw a tad light. A tad light is better than a tad heavy. Overweight charges have the potential to result in excessive chamber pressures.

There's no reason a properly set adjustable bar should be problematic. I suggest you study the instructions on the manufacturer's website at multiscalecharge.com. Properly set, an adjustable will put you spot on.

sissy

PS: Ten flakes of powder doesn't amount to a rat's @ss in either weight or performance. You can insert a strip of fabric softener (like Bounce) in the powder bottle and get rid of most static.

3. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

A few grains of powder will not change things enough for you to notice. I have always used nail polish to coat the inside of the shot bushing to lower the weight a bit. Higher antimony or larger shot will also drop the weight. Ron

Added note: By grains I mean individual grains, not by weight.

4. browntown

browntown TS Member

I'm still new to this but I didn't think the weight of the shot had anything to do with the chamber pressure. I just assumed that a little heavier shot payload would just slow down based on a given amount of powder. Well if too much shot is going to be dangerous, then I'll stick with the light throwing 1 1/8 bar.

The reason I prefer the bar and bushings over the adjustable doo-dad is that I'm still new and just want to nail down a good combo of hull/primer/wad/powder/bar/bushing that I can leave set up and crank out a couple hundred shells when I feel the need. Lately it seems I'm fussing with the damn thing more than I'm loading.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

browntown:

Check your private messages.

sissy

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take a file or reamer and open up the hole in the 1 1/8 bar so it throws the weight you want. HMB

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Adjustable bars work fine if you wish to take the time to understand about slack in threads.

All you need to do is arrive at your final setting by going from a higher weight to a lower one.

Then you will be pushing on the adjustable part, and it will never throw any more than it does now.

Many folks tend to do just the opposite, opening the bar till they get what they want. then the slack in the threads coupled with the act of filling the cavity makes the charge heavier.

Got it? Open the adjust ment to a larger weight than desired then close it to the proper setting.

Simple.

HM

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Use the bushing and junk the adjustable. If MEC would have thought the adjustable was a good idea, they would be making it themselves.

A difference of 20-30 grains in shot load weight is about 5-6 pellets. It's better to be light than heavy and you will not miss those few pellets.

MK

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Though you will not know the difference, as MK says, 20-30 grains is 15-25 pellets, assuming you are shooting trap shot.

If it worries you, buy a 5/8 inch countersink and flare out the bottom of the hole, a little, little bit at a time until you get what you want.

Neil

10. browntown

browntown TS Member

Thanks to everyone. I got a couple great PM's too from you folks. Definitely am now aware that higher shot load can increase pressure. I like the reamer idea, but it all sounds like I'm obsessing about nothing, and I'll just use the 1 1.8 bar and focus on hitting birds.

11. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

MEC said the the bars are made for chilled shot. Chilled is heavier than magnum (more lead)but the shot count should be the same........GOOD LUCK

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The bars, MEC of after market, are basically measuring volume. The makeup of the shot you are using can vary the weight but still have the X amount of pellets normally found in that volume. If you really want to get anal about the shot throw, you need to count some pellets. You would have to measure them also since obviously smaller pellets will pack tighter in the same volume as larger.....Bob Dodd

13. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

A steel shot bar can be used for larger lead shot may solve your problem Jon

14. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Use the adjustable bar and don't look back, they are great. I have them on all my MEC's and would never go back.........GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.