1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***Mec 9000 rounding off shells?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by srvfan, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srvfan

srvfan Member

Have a Mec 9000h and in station 1 the shell drops in, falls to
    the bottom of the collet,fingers close on shell de primer punches
    out primer but when the shell comes up the brass end is domed
    and the rim is missing. The bottom of the shell is no longer
    flat it is bubbled out at the primer end??????

I took reloader apart and cleaned including removing collet and
    degreasing and cleaning.Thought for sure that would fix it but
    no.I am stumped anyone have any idea's?
    Thank you
    Paul from Ca.

2. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Since you've had it apart, make sure when the hull drops it can go all the way down. Just take it easy and by hand, push the hull down as the lifter drops. If you feel any resistance, the collet nut is probably too tight. Also make sure there is nothing underneath the lifter can be stopped by.

Make sure no fingers on the collet are bent, any. What is usually the issue is just one pellet holding a finger in ever so slightly, under the machine frame where it's difficult to see. That may have been the issue originally.

The resizer should be sizing back to about .806-.808", that's how you know where to set the nut.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Not all such problems are in the MEC resizer. The shell lifter is lowered by the arm that holds the wad guide. If the wad guide is hanging up, you'll get a crushed rim. Check the condition of the wad guide fingers and check the wad guide alignment.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Any oil, antiseize compound or any other foreign material that gets to the inside of the collet will cause this too as the hull may hang ever so slightly and not fall all the way down in the collet. The collet is machined out more at the base to acommadate the rim of the hull. When ever my hulls start to do this I take the collet apart and clean it out. I use brake cleaner to claen it with. After cleaning make sure you do what Bob_K says.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

did the nut come loose on the deprime punch? that can bulge the head rick

6. Lurefish

Lurefish Member

If the wad fingers were ever lowered from where they were factory set, this can prevent the 1st station from bottoming out properly and will round off the bottom of the shells. Ken Jeffries

7. srvfan

srvfan Member

Thanks everybody for the great advise I am currently trying
    a few of them and will let you know what it was....
    Thanks again
    Paul from Ca.

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Check the diameter of the cases your loading. I ran into one that due to the case head diameter the shells couldn't fall into the sizer die quick enough and resulted in the rounded hulls. The fella had a single barrel that had an oversized chamber and they wouldn't fall into the sizer quickly enough. He had the barrel rechambered and the problem never occured again. Problem wasn't the press, it was the cases.

Big Jack

9. crk

crk Member

I have had exactly the same thing happen. Can happen if you have a rogue BB of shot get in between the resizer that then prevents the shells from dropping all the way down to the bottom or if the adjustment for the arm that drops the shell in station one is out (did the small bar get bent by any chance?)

Something to try - start the cycle and when the shell drop should be all the way down, press down on the shell in station one. If it continues to drop (sometimes the make a small "pop" as they seat in when you do this), that is the indication to continue looking for why the shell did not go all the way down before the resizer engages.

10. srvfan

srvfan Member

Thanks again for all the help..... I finally figured it out with a little of
    everyones help. The COLETT was deformed ,smashed or out of tolerance.
    Enclosed is a picture of new on right and mine on left. The fingers were bent shut not allowing the shell to drop all the way down. Just thought I would
    share this with you guys to keep in the back of your head for the next guy
    in trouble. By the way the Mec works better than ever I think it was bad
    from day 1. When I got it new it used to make a popping sound and now that
    is gone. Thanks again...........
    Paul from Ca.
    [​IMG]

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Awesome a actual follow up!!!!!! love to see this stuff, so many problem post never seem to finish up with the found problem or a solution.

12. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

I finally solved this problem by removing the sliding collet. Have never had a problem since. No failure to feed in my K and R guns. Shells are fire formed in any event. The fingers stay open at station one.

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

the popping was likely the fingers sticking in the collett....neva-seize, neva seize, neva seize!!!

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I also remember a snapping sound coming from the wad fingers being installed either too low or too high, thus part of the wad would catch on the top edge of the shell....it was a long time ago....just cannot remember..

15. darr

darr Well-Known Member

That had to take some cranking to bend it like that.If you have more than a little resistance back off.I have loaded with Mecs for about 28 years now and if there is one thing I know is don't force it.Please don't take this wrong I am just trying to help.I have forced and broke parts myself.Glad your fixed up.

Darr Wilson

16. srvfan

srvfan Member

Darr,
    No offense taken at all thanks for the tip. I think you might be right
    as I was saying it used to make a popping sound once in a while.
    Thought it was the primer setting punch pin sliding around and not
    coming up straight into the hole and hitting the sides......

Maybe it wasn't,could of been the collet snapping, hard to tell
    how much resistance is actually going on with a 9000h you cant
    feel it. From now on if I hear anything wierd I will stop and
    investigate before continuing. Thanks again
    Paul from Ca.

17. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy this site & have picked up a lot of valuable information. HOWEVER,I don't understand when reloaders are having trouble with a Mec machine, they don't just call MEC. They'll immediately pin-point your problem & guide you through a fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 bulging shell heads

mec 9000 rounding hulls

mec 9000 rounding shells