1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 reloader question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

Looking into getting a MEC 9000 press. I know someone who is selling a used one and it would be about half the cost of a new one.

Anything to look out for as far as parts that wear frequently etc?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the collet fingers and check the frame for any cracks. HMB

3. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

open choke:

Most parts on a MEC will outlast the operator's arm. Keep it clean and lubricate the pivot points and collet as specified in the manual and it will probably outlast you.

sissy

PS: I'm not a big fan of the resizing collets. Its not so much a wear issue as the nuisance factor. A little spilled shot is inevitable. If you get a pellet between the fingers, its a pain in the neck.

4. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Dental pick works wonders.

Jim

5. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Purchase the mec maintenence kit; it is well worth the money.

Doc

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I understand what sissy is saying but the first thing I do is pull the elevator when I have a spill. If a pellet is in the collect most of the time it just drops out the bottom.

Ajax

7. schneep

schneep Member

If you would ever have an issue, you can send it to MEC and they will rebuild it ata very fair cost. I live close by so I just make an appointment and take mine in and wait while they fix it. Very super service dept.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The "gas spring" (gas cylinder that advances the turret) will become sluggish after a few thousand reloads, but at half price I think you'll come out of this deal pretty good. Good luck.

Also, to avoid exhausting your profane language vocabulary. Learn to identify the "charge bar lock" and it's function before beginning operation.

Good luck.

9. willing

willing Member

MY 9000 is wwell over 100,000 and the gas cylinder is still working, no problem.

Bill

10. WJN

WJN TS Member

When you find yourself tinkering with your new toy to adjust the function - do one adjustment at a time. Otherwise you can end up having a problem figuring out what you screwed up. Don't ask me how I know this.

Jim

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"MY 9000 is wwell over 100,000 and the gas cylinder is still working, no problem."

That's good to hear. I had three on mine ('92) before I moved on. My buddy, who reloaded about a third as much as I had 2 on his in less than 3 years. They've obviously made some improvements. That's good, I always liked my MECs (started on a 250). My fav was always the Grabber.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I'm second owner on my 9000 12 ga and I have run 70,000 through it and never had to replace the cylinder as it had a new one when I got it. Wish my grabbers(20, 28 and 410) were 9000's. LOL Jackie B.

13. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I have had mine for 18 years. The cylinder just went bad last week. 26$ to replace it.

14. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I owned a 9000 for a very short time. Seemed like a good loader but I had to constantly adjust the wad guide fingers or they would be off a little and a shell would catch the wad and tear it up. Mine was brand new and I only loaded about 1200 shells with it before selling it on eBay and buying a brand new PW800+ which I just love. I highly recommend keeping a couple sets of wad guide fingers on hand cause they do break and when it does you'll be having major issues. Always seems to happen when you're on a time crunch needing to get stuff loaded with no time to order a set and have them shipped. They're cheap so stock up.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

At about half the price for a reasonably priced high end loader I don't see how you can beat a MEC 9000GN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i need help to rebuild a neck hydraulic 9000 reloader