1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 Question - need Suggestion

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blade819, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Just got my MEC 9000GN with Automate set up and I'm having a minor problem. About every 7th shell at step 1 comes out with rounded bottom (no rim). I've played with the collet adjustment nut and made sure everything is clean...to no avail. Any suggestions?

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Make sure the shell is dropping in the deprime hole (station 1) properly. Also if the drop tubes for powder and shot are not properly set the same thing can happen. Jake

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like the tube that the spent primer falls through is hanging up. HMB

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

They have it rite,,,if the shell does not drop all the way,,,,the coolet squeezes the rim and the deprime punch pushes out the bottom of the brass

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The drop tube catching on spent primers will cause the same thing if the tray gets full. Drop tube being too oily will also. One piece of shot between the collet fingers will hang up that drop tube and bulge the case brass. Once the collet fingers smash a piece of shot, it's hard to see as it's flattened so much. I use a dental pick to clean out smashed shot in mine when that happens. Hap

6. CharlesK80

CharlesK80 Member

The cause of the problem is the fingers of the collet do not allow the shell to fall completely to the base of the collet. There could be many causes.

After making the call and adjusting the sliding part of the collet, you may have the same problem. It's the fingers.

After time, the fingers lose some spring and do not open fully. The shell does not go all the way down. Up comes the sliding part and the shell brass is crushed.

Buy a new collet or... remove the sliding part. If the latter, the shell is not resized and will have the same base as the last gun that shot it. If it was your gun, no problem. The shell brass is now fire formed.

I removed the collet part that slides up and down. Spread the fingers apart just a tad to be sure the shell falls to the bottom and... no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.