1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pat drake, Jul 10, 2013.

1. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

I have a MEC 9000 with the electric drive. I am having a problem on the first station. Kinda hard for me to explain, but here it goes! When it de-primes the hull, it is pushing the brass down to where it is almost round. I think the hull is not falling all the way down into the collet? or maybe the collet is closing too quickly? thanks in advance for your help!

Pat

2. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Common problem on ALL 9000's
    You probably have some loose shot in the collets of the resize/deprime station.
    They flatten out and are very hard to remove with out taking the collet completely out and spreading the fingers apart to remove it.
    I am sure other posts will be coming shortly saying the same thing.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

acorange has nailed it for you.

More than likely something, (think a piece or two of shot) has lodged in the petals of your collet. Run a thin knife or something similar down those petals and it most likely will be okay.

Also, pull the piece that your shell sits on and completely wipe it off. These sometime build up with crud and this will help it go up and down better.

Hauxfan!

4. pat drake

pat drake TS Member

Thanks. I forgot to mention that it only does it when there are hulls in other stations. It I just put one hull in the first station, it will not happen. Ad hulls to the next two stations and bingo! f'd up hull.
    Pat

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

May I suggest you start with all the stations empty and start loading as you normally do until you get your first round bottom hull on station 1. Then look at what station your first shell is on, and that would be your station to check to find out why your top unit is not going all the way down. FWIW. JM

6. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Sounds like your wad guide isn't centered or isn't high enough and isn't allowing the shell lifter to drop. Go to your book and adjust the wad guide so that it is both centered on the shot drop tube and the clamping wedge top is 1/8 inches above the clamp.

Don T. Littleton CO

7. jacksback

jacksback Active Member

+1 to what FlashMax said -- it's going to be an issue with your wad guide hanging up the shell lifter.

8. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Video showing cleaning of 9000 sizing collet link above.

9. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

The other common problem that will create this condition: Too many spent primers under the drop tube causing the shell not to go all the way down before the collet closes on it.

Chuck

10. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

your empty shell is sitting to high, you need to lower your drop tube so the collet won't catch the shell early. Henry

11. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

It seems you have received good advice in previous posts.
    Time to break it down & clean/lube your press including that collet assembly. Spilled any shot lately?
    Clean/lube under the shell carrier. Remember...no lube on shell lifter!

12. Sevin

Sevin TS Member

Yep..I have the same problem sometimes on my 9000H, run something up and down between collet fingers, and if you can use compressed air that might help too. I know when I use larger size shot the problem increases, so its mostly little balls of lead getting stuck in the wrong place, its your job to find it. Have fun.

13. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

All above responses have merit. Sometimes a pellet will actually be on top of the shell lifter. Your solution is in one of these responses.

Cheers

Larry

Search tags for this page
mec 9000 brass problems
mec 9000 index problems

mec 9000 problems

mec 9000 rounding hulls
trouble with station 1 mec9000