1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 9000 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've been using a Mec 9000 for about 3 years. Lately, about every 4th or 5th shell, sometimes more, the hull won't drop down into the collet. It just "sticks" about half way and won't go until I rotate it or "fiddle" with it. Probably something simple, anyone have any ideas? Taking it apart seems rather difficult to me. I can get the linkage apart and that's about it...

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

cap

2. AOWINNER

AOWINNER TS Member

You probably have a piece of shot between the shell lifter and its wall. Push out the shell lifter from the bottom, and the obstruction will fall out, make sure you align it on the fork when you reinstall it.
    Dave

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Thank you gentlemen. I'll see what happens....

cap

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Over 30 plus years, since the MEC Size Master arrived around 1977. I have experienced this problem and most often it is a piece of shot flattened between the fingers of the collet. I have a dental pick, available at most drug stores, that I use to dislodge the shot.

Once, on a MEC Grabber, one of the fingers of the collet was sticking out and when I pushed it back, the finger broke and I had to replace the collet. It had a lot of reloads through it but I also failed to lube it properly.

When you find out and correct your problem, you may want to check your lubrication. I use an anti-sieze lube I get at an auto parts store.

Ed Ward

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Don't overlook the wad guide at station 3 as the source of the problem. The wad guide is mounted on the rod that lowers the shell holder in the collet, so if the wad guide is misaligned, or a finger is bent, and the wad guide does not lower completely onto the shell, the shell holder will not lower in the collet at station 1.

6. Don S

Don S Member

After about 2 hundred thousand loads, I could not get the resizer to work. About every third shell the hull would not drop all the way down. I cleaned and lubricated it several times. Finally, I replaced the collet fingers. Problem solved.

7. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

In addition to the above fixes, make sure your loader is grounded, as I found mine seemed to become magnetised when the ground wire came adrift. I was loading Gun Clubs, and the steel head hung up and wouldn't drop. I felt a little tug when I pushed it down, and after some fiddling, realised it was magnetism holding the head to the plate. After much head scratching, I discovered the loose ground wire. Now, if this happens, it is just me not inserting the shell correctly.

8. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I'm supposed to ground my Grabber?

10. capvan

capvan Active Member

Cleaned all I could, but still having problem. Less, but still there...

cap

11. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Try this: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=148737

Doc

12. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

I am sure you have checked this, but if spent primers are allowed to build up in the tray, it will prevent the shell tube (?) from dropping all the way thus preventing the shell from properly seating in the resize collet.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Try this, call MEC! They are very helpful, and want you to solve the problem. It is in their best interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 shell does not drop

mec 9000 shell drop problem

replace wad guide on mec 9000