1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 primer feeder nightmare

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ansvel, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Got the press with the original feeder. The original feeder is totally garbage.
    That ok, ordered a new one, improved, with the large capacity.
    Was kicking my ass for two days to set up this crap. I attached feeder based
    on manual, the tube was away off of normal position, no mater what I did.
    So, I started filing to make some correction, it helped a bit, but still I’m getting
    the primer in wrong position for every 10-15 shells.
    Guys, what is your experience with different brands?

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Ansvel, I have the same problem with my 9000G, and it came with the "improved" feeder. I don't know if the problem is with the feed assembly, or with the shell carrier". I carefully watch the primer drop, and notice that primers bounce to the upside-down position, or jump out completely. They also have a tendency to bind in the feeder.

There does seem to be a "sweet spot" in the number of primers in the tray. It seems to be between 100 and 150. It also helps to hold down the handle for anothe second, or so, to insure the primer doesn't bounce.

No other answer than that.

Best,
    Dennis

3. old george

old george TS Member

Yoour trouble could be the settingon the primer feed tube.Set it so it almost touches the shell plate. I had the same trouble but this simple adjustment solved it.GOOD LUCK!(a litte silicon on the unit -including the tube- helps)

4. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

The main (and almost only) reason I've seen for primers flipping is the resizer collet not lubed correctly or lubed with the wrong stuff. This causes the collet to snap open and flip the primer upside down. It needs to be lubed with an anti-seize compound. Get mine at an auto parts store. Apply with small paint brush or q-tip. I've been using the old style feeder for a lot of years, and once the ball chain is correctly adjusted it's been just fine. Load about 10 - 15 K a year.

Tom

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

First of all you do not need a file to make adjustments to the primer feed. Next there are a number of adjustments that need to be made in the proper order. First mount the tray and tighten the bolt. Next loosen the screw and adjust the height of the tube, place a business card between the bottom of the tube and the plate, and tighten the screw. Next line up the tube with the hole in the plate, just push or pull the tube until it lines up with the hole. Finally adjust the chain so the primer drops into the hole in the plate at the bottom of the stroke. That's it, your done. HMB

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I have an after market tray extender (holds 300) and by adjusting the tube and keeping the ramp of the tray well "Pledged" it works well most of the time. The one must do for MEC primer feed is to watch EVERY primer drop into the hole. By the way, I have an extra tray extender if anyone is interested.

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

Find someone who installed one and is not having problems and have them help you adjust it. I installed one on my old 9000 and it took about 30 minutes to get it correctly. It has worked without problems for over a year and a half and 8000 rounds.

8. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

The trick when installing one of the new large capacity positive feed units is to do the final adjustments with the turret in the down position. Makes a very tedious job simple as pie.

9. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

First off, don't pay attention to the posts before this that tell you how to adjust the OLD style tray. Any post that mentioned a spring or adjusting the height of the tube would be one of those.

You have obviously noticed that there is no way to adjust the height of the tube. Get the tube to be directly above the holes in the plate at the BOTTOM of the stroke. You notice also that you have slots, not just holes to make this adjustment. Tighten the bolts/nuts as much as you can. These can be tricky to get just right. Just take your time.

The last and most important adjustment is to the drop 'paddle' as I call it. If primers are dropping but flipping, you just need to make the adjustment so the primer drops at just the right time. You noticed I hope, when you installed the new tray the there is a paddle on the column of the machine. There are two allen-head screws on it. Loosen the bottom one and you'll see you can move that paddle front to back. It's got a slotted hole in it. That paddle pushes the drop mechanism inside the tray to push a primer over the tube. By simply making SMALL adjustmeents to this paddle you can time the primer to drop at just the right time. It will take some experimentation to get this just right but when you do you will notice how slick this tray works. If you have a standard MEC that does not have ther Auto-Mate, it is real simple to make these adjustments.

Good Luck and let us know if you got it right,

Tim

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I had one that would not work correctly, no matter how much I played with it.

I called MEC and they offered to exchange it free of charge.

I had not purchased directly from them, they said no problem.

The replacement worked right out of the box.

11. willyo

willyo TS Member

ADJUSTING THE MEC (NEW STYLE)PRIMER TUBE:

Try bending the tube into alignment- a long handled alen wrench of 3/8" or so will enable you to bend it to drop the primer correctly.

Watch for the clamping bolt shifting or loosining allowing the primer assy. to shift due to the constant "levering" by the L cam moving the primer slide on each lever pull. (It really needs a better clamp, or 2nd bolt)

Try to decreasse the drop of the primer to the shell holdeer to about 0.060" -the thickness of a doubled bussiness card -

I intend to drill and tap my bracket the next time it loosens.

Bill in Wisc.

12. dverna

dverna Active Member

I gave up on mine - sold it for about a 25% loss - got a PW 800+.

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

willyo has it right i have bought and sold about 30 9000s got them cheap because some one cant get them to work right if they are set up right they do not fail i clean them and ajust and they will work if you have the old style tray put blue lock tite on the screw that holds the tube and DO NOT over tighten ajust to where a dime will go under and primer drops to the outside of hole keep the OUTSIDE of collet LIGHTLY lubed {about every 500 rounds] i use never siez and a long Qtip get a can of the caned spray air like you use on a keyboard will keep powder out of the collet the new type primer tray will most likely need to be bent like willyo said above [ about 50% do] use your Qtip and coat the inside of tray with a thin coat of moly and blow the excess off will last 6 mo if primers are clean the best part you can invest in is the tool kit mec sells has wrenchs and lube and some parts and is not that much rick

14. abiezer

abiezer Guest

If you have some semblance of mechanical aptitude,you'll have no problem
    with either the old or new style trays,If your the type that can break an anvil in a sandbox,put down the file,go to your local sporting goods store and buy ammo that's already loaded.

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

After reading hmb's post I stopped reading any further. I couldn't have explained it any better myself. hmb nailed it.

16. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

How to fix a MEC Loader;

1.) Take alot of pictures of it.
    2.) List it on E-Bay.
    3.) Buy A Spolar Gold

I do think you need to use a MEC first to fully appreciate the Quality of the Spolar.
    Regards, Scott

17. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

Just a small tip, the 1/4" bolt that secures the "new" type tray needs a "star
    serrated washer" on top to secure it from moving once you find the correct
    position/line up. 2) do the adjustments with the handle down stroke and empty.
    tie a cord on the handle and hold it down with your helper or your foot.
    Have a nice day, good shooting. pineapple

18. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

blizzard,

You are referring to a post (by hmb) who told how to fix the OLD STYLE primer tray. The original post was asking for help on a NEW STYLE primer tray.

Tim

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

if you have any smarts a mec is much better than a spolal and cost is a LOT less and you can use an ajustable bar if you are challanaged dont reload rick

20. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I was around a hydraulic Spolar long enough to know I didn't want one, and believe me, there was going to be one in my reloading area until a one hour demonstration showed me otherwise. They are a finely crafted reloading machine no doubt, but the noise from the pump alone turned me off immediately. No way. I stuck an Auto-Mate under my tuned and massaged 9000 and things couldn't be better. Smooth, quite, portable and reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjust mec 9000 primer tube

adjusting primer feeder tube on mec 9000gn

mec 9000 new primer

mec 9000 primer feeder

mec 9000gn primer feed

mec 900gn primers getting wedged in turret

mec primer tray lube