1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000. Powder drop issue.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ansvel, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ansvel

ansvel Member

Hello,

1. I use Red Dot, 7/8 and #37 for powder but every drop is never the same. The difference is about +/- 0.4 grain. Is this normal? I check all settings, the bar is moving well and always starts and stops at the same position.. Why do I have this discrepancy?

2. I’m thinking about digital scale. Saw on eBay same of them really cheap but I need something reliable. Please advice.

Thanks.

2. team henges

team henges TS Member

the powder drop issue is common, our 9000 dose the same thing. and i reccomend the cabelas brand digital scale, i think it is around $100

3. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

It's likely you need to ground your reloader.
    I've never experienced that much deviation when using my MEC's.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree. Also, be aware of how long you pause the handle at the bottom of each cycle as that can really affect your powder charge consistency.

Ed

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Stop loading! Take everything you have loaded apart and recycle what you can.

Now! I'm serious!

Others will explain why.

Neil

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Neil got me thinking with that post and it dawned upon me that a #37 bushing just might drop a little too much Red Dot (I load with PB, so I'm used to seeing the larger bushing numbers). You didn't say what hull and wad you are using, but it really doesn't matter - according to Alliant's load data, your powder charge is four to five grains too heavy. To put it in better perspective, that's no less than a 20% overcharge!

Ed

7. ansvel

ansvel Member

Well, when I shoot I do not feel big difference even with +/- 0.4 gr.
    Now I scale every 5-6th shell and it's slows down all reloading.
    I'm wondering, why smart people coudnt build reloader with some scale inside instead of bushing ?

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

ansval, you should be useing a #30 or #31 bushing for your loading, so you are throwing way to much powder. Next you will need a good scale for weighting your drops and yes plus or minus about 3/10 tenths to 4/10 tenths of a grain of Red Dot is normal. That is why I no longer use Red Dot, as it varies in drops to much from me. 700X or Hodgdon Clays powder drops much better. I have heard that Alliant's Clay dot might be a good choice as well. I too say do not shoot those loads you reloaded and take them apart and re-use your components with a correct drop of powder next time. Break-em all. Jeff

9. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

ansvel

How many grains of red dot does your #37 bushing weigh when measured on your scales?

Mark

10. ansvel

ansvel Member

2 markdenis

Well, 20,5 and I shoot international only.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

ansvel , If you are seeing an extreme spread of .4 grains that is not abnormal. That is +/- .2 grains, which is about as good as one could expect. One drop could be +.2 and another -.2 . A .4 difference.

+/- .4 would give a possible spread of .8 grains. I think that is what Neil is referring to. If that is the case I would be concerned. You will not notice a .4 difference shooting.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

According to my Mec bushing guide, a #37 bushing should throw about 22.7 grains. Now that could be up or down about 6/10 tenth to 7/l0 tenth of a grain at most. 20.5 grains in that bushing is extremely light!!! Are you sure your scale is accurate??? Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

13. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Do not buy a Cabela's scale, salesman told me; it's no good. Buy a Dillon.......GOOD LUCK

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

RCBS 750 or 1500 scale are very good. I don't use Red dot or Promo any more because of the drop change's. I now use Clays, Clay dot and 700X that I used for over 20 years. I only change because it was hard to get 700X at one point.

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I use RD #33 and get 17.8 to 18.3 for 1 1/8 load on my 9000H---the charge changes with amount of powder in tube---I put a static sheet on top of tube to stop any static---Talked to mec about same problem and said a .3 difference is not a problem---U won't be able to tell one way or the other---I also use a Dillon for 1 oz loads and find the same problem---I weigh with a Dillon scale--

sjb---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.