1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 powder drop change

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

You guys are probably getting tired of me asking for advice. But those who don't ask questions are those who never have an answer.

I just got in a new 8.lbs of Hodgdon Clays and when measuring my powder drop it has changed from around 18.1g to 17.6g.

I cleaned my loader and it consistently stays around 17.6g.

I switched from a #33 bushing to a #34 and now it consistently drops around 18.3g which by the chart changes my loads from 9700psi @ ~1175fps to 11300psi @~ 1200fps.

Is it normal for a change in powder batch the change the drop weight?

Craig

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Its normal. There can be some variances in different lots.

3. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Thanks, if I stay at 18.3g what changes can be expected from the 1600 psi increase?

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Make sure during your down stroke you hold it for a few seconds before you release. It takes a few second for the powder to drop into the bushing completely. Also, if you allow your up stroke to rise too fast, before all the powder has dispensed into the hull, it will spill out. Basically, you'll have powder still dropping through the tube during the up stroke. .5 grains of power may not look like much, but its a drastic change in PSI and FPS.

Are you using a powder baffle?

Is this a hydraulic model?

Bryan

5. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

yes I do use a baffle.

My strokes are steady and somewhat slow. We are talking about my reloader right :), my reloader is not hydraulic.

I've measured the drop at least 20 times and have verified that my digital scale is accurate by verification with my Lee manual powder scale. Every drop is anywhere from 18.1 to 18.3 with the #34 bushing.

6. willing

willing Member

Try a piece of black tape. It's easier than polish and you don't physically change the bushing for the future.
    Bill

7. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm still looking at what impact the increase of 1600 psi will have.

Thanks,
    Craig

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Absloutely YES there are varying drops from different batches of powder.

That is why the make powder scales so you can check your loads.

I use an adjustable charge bar so I can dial in my powder and shot drops, I use a digital powder scale and I also use the weights to check accuracy of the scale.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I second Gary's adjustable charge Bar. Too many variations in powders to even concieve the bushing could throw the same charge every time. Tim

10. maka

maka Member

Do you shake and roll the powder container well before putting it into the bottle? This helps to limit varionces in drops. My opinon only.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Go back to the old bushing, you gun will no know the difference. HMB

12. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well thanks all for the advice. I just got back from firing 25 of 17.5gn, 9700psi @ ~1175fps and 25 of 18.3 gn, 11300ps @ ~1200fps and I couldn't tell the difference so I guess the variance is moot.

I guess the importance is in knowing for sure what's going in the hull.

Thanks,
    Craig

13. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

That is the very reason that I use Green Dot or PB as 1 to 5 tenths of a grain does not raise your pressure hardley at all. To me anything over 10,000 PSI, I would rather not shoot it in my gun. Anyone that knows will tell you that 10,000 PSI is the most efficient shell.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.