1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 or Hornady 366

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

I have a 9000G and it works well. I see a ton of them for sale. I have a friend who owns a Pacific 366 that he swears by. I do not see very many of these for sale.

Opinions/thoughts from those who have owned both or have knowledge of both. Which one is better and why?

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have several of both and in my opinion the Mec is the simpler and smoothest of the two. The plus for the 366 is the shot and powder cutoffs. It is also easier to change powder bushings in the 366. On the down side the loaded shell falls off sometimes instead of going thru the drop hole. I have a 20 ga, 28 ga and 410 in the 366 and they have been a nightmare getting them adjusted and running good. My Mec's were much easier and smoother. Jackie B.

3. t7731

t7731 Member

Thanks Jackie,

You say "The plus for the 366 is the shot and powder cutoffs." Can you explain what you mean by cutoffs? Is this a manual lever or something that allows you to shut off the powder and/or shot while continuing to operate the rest of the machine? I can see where that would be nice, cause every once in a while if I am not paying attention or trying to clear up a problem, I end up with shot/powder all over the place with my MEC loaders.

You also say, "They have been a nightmare getting them adjusted and running good. My Mec's were much easier and smoother." Sounds like if I have my MEC dialed in that there really is no reason for me to "upgrade" to a 366?

Mike

4. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

A shot and powder cutoff on a MEC would be nice, except I would likely forget to turn one of them back on! A trick I have learned to do while straightening out a mess with a MEC progressive, is to cut about an inch off a couple of empty hulls ( so you won't mix them up with a good one) and slip one of them in the loader to catch shot or powder while you are completing the other shells.

5. billn

billn Member

you can forget to turn on the shot or powder on the 366 also, expecially the powder, it doesn't make a sound and you don't know if you have on or off sometimes.

I have both, and like the MEC 9000 G better. both loaders are great, takes a moment to get use to using one of the other if you use one all the time.

6. wlc

wlc Member

The MEC is pretty hard to beat for the price. Once the primer drop is properly adjusted, there aren't many interruptions. Using a cut off hull, like suggested above, works well when clearing the machine after a mishap.

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have had both, 366 built like a battleship--9000 built to a price, both load good shells, if you want to "set it & forget it" the 366 is your machine, if you don't mind tinkering---adjustments and $$ are a consideration the 9000 will do a good job for you. My personal experience was keep the battleship and get rid the 9000. Ross Puls

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Both are proven, solid machines. Like others have said, they each have their strengths.

Try your friend's 366 for a night of shell making and see.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Your answers to this question will depend on which reloader the poster is using now. Those that have a Mec 9000 will tell you the Mec is better while the 366 guys will swear theirs is the best. It's all about what you feel the most confident and comfortable reloading with. That being said, I have owned both and settled on the Mec. I have the 9000H hydraulic unit, and have reloaded on it for over 20 years. I sent it back to Mec 3 yrears ago for a total rebuild, which it really didn't need, and it cost me $135 to have it overhauled. I am just partial to progressive reloaders that function as the Mec does. Is it a better reloader? What really makes one better than the other? I don't think you can go wrong with either one, as both companies offer great customer service and stand by their product. As for there being more Mec loaders for sale than 366's, Mec has more than likely sold 4 times more reloaders than the 366's. Therefore, there are more of them available. I do know of a couple shooters that switched from the 366 to the 9000H, but that was primarily for the hydraulics of the Mec.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

On the 366 there are slide levers, one for powder and one for shot. Out being on and in cuts off powder and or shot. It sure would be nice if the Mec's had this. One thing that I forgot was customer service. Mec has the most knowledgeable personnel that really know their stuff. Not so much with the Hornady's but small parts are shipped free which Mec doesn't do. Spilled shot is easier to deal with on 366's. All in all I still prefer the Mec's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
366 reloader vs mec 9000
compare mec reloader to hornady 366
hornady 366 vs mec

hornady 366 vs mec 9000

mec 366

mec 9000 vs hornady 366

mec9000 of hornady 366