1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 9000 justification

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Just curious and looking for opinions: how many shots are needed to make it worth paying for a MEC 9000 reloader?

Also, it takes me about 45 minutes to load 100 on my 600jr. Yes I'm a bit slow.
    How much quicker is the 9000 or for that matter any other progressive reloader?

Blueraven

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Blueraven just some information you can do your own math. Find yourself a reloading cost calculator(there are a few offered on TS.com.)and figure out the difference in cost between new and reloaded are.

Then apply the figures that you have already given which is 25 shells every 11+ minutes. Then figure out how many stroke to make a loaded shell on your Jr. A 9000 give you "Finished shells with every stroke" That should tell you how many shells you will get in the same amount of strokes in the same amount of time.

Then you can see if it is justified in your own opinion. Just remember all this is only theory. The only real way to justify it is load on one and unless you have a friend that is willing to let you try theirs. There is only one way to do that.

Personally there is no way I would spend the money they asking for a 9000 when there are better loaders for not that much more money. Taking into consideration that when I made the move to a progressive loader. I wasn't satisfied with a MEC and with in a year I bought something different and have been satisfied with that move ever since and it has been 18 years since I made that last move. Good luck what ever you decide.

Bob Lawless

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I paid $444 for a new in box MEC 9000GN in 28 ga. yesterday.

Winchester AA Super Sports in 28 ga. are about $10.97 / box. I can make them for $3.15 per box.

The break even point where this machine will start paying for itself is 56 boxes, or 1,400 rounds. I'm pretty sure I can burn through that in two months.

4. headsupdesign

headsupdesign TS Member

If you place any value on your time you will get a fast efficient reloader like the 9000 hydraulic. 100 shells in 7 minutes and they are perfect. exactly the same stroke for each cycle.

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I have the 9000 mounted on a Automate II and load a flat in 15 min. I often think of a Spolar but the price of the Spolar and performance of the Mec keep me where I am. The Mec is a great machine and will serve you well. Mec also has terrific customer support should you need it. Jake

6. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I have two mec 9000s and I really like them.

I load about 400/hour going at just a steady clip and boxing as I go. It's nice to just turn them out.

I have never had a problem with MEC loaders at all.

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I have 3 9000's and a 366. Mainly use the 9000's. One for 7 1/2's, one for 8's....I haven't used the 366 much for the last couple of years. The third 9000 is for parts. I got all of them used for reasonable dollars. Yes they ALL have their own quirks but you get used to them. One hundred shells can be loaded in one hundred pulls. You do time study. Am very happy with them.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have 2 9000GN one in a 12ga and the other in a 20ga. I do 400 rounds in a hour. Once you own one you will never go back to a single stage again. I reload about 25,000 to 30,0000 rounds a year. That for my wife and myself. Trap and sporting clay shooting.

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Price your time to see how fast the pay-back is...start with $7.25/hour - the current federal minimum wage, then decide. Best Regards, Ed

10. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Thanks everyone for their opinion. I went with the 600jr as my first reloader due to it's cost as well as simplicity. Since I'm reloading for my Kids, I wanted something that allowed me to control each stage.

Now that I'm comfortable with reloading, I'm looking to progress.

My Boys are shooting a possible 400 rounds per week. With the 600jr I figure it will take me me around 3 hours per week just to keep up. This volume though is only during the two month High/Jr. High School trap season. Next year with both Boys in High School, the volume will increase to 600 and that's 4.5 hours per week.

I would love to cut my reloading time down to 1.5 hours per week but not if I have to sacrifice consistency. Remember I'm reloading for a couple of kids.

Last question; should I just stick it out with the 600jr for now and look for a used progressive reloader during the off-season or just bite the bullet now and purchase a new one?

Thanks,
    Craig

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

For get the time value of money and buy a progressive now... you have the need and it appears the spare dough... we all waste money everday, the progressive loader is one of the few tools we have to reduce "real" time/effort in the reloading process... If you want to load single-stage at some point so the kids can learn - the progressives have that ability also.

Buy now, save time now, you'll never get those hours and days of time back...

regards,

Jay

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree with those who have mentioned that your time has a value, too. You only get so much of the stuff so use it wisely.

I started with a MEC 700 VersaMEC, went to a Grabber, sprung for a "good" loader, sold it and bought a 9000G, tried another "good" loader and now use a 9000E with an AutoMateII. They all load nice shells that go bang the same, so I'm done trying "better" loaders. Unless something new comes along...

Ed

13. dhip

dhip Active Member

I'll fess up. Have a mec 9000,,got a call from a friend who had a friend that had gotten it a couple years ago at an auction.He offered it to me for a certain price,when I was told it was a 9000,I gave him double what he asked for it.Still didn't pay 1/2 of what a new one cost,even after I purchased a few parts I determined needed replaced or were missing.A frien(fella who got me into trap shooting this past october)fine tuned it for me.Only have loaded a flat's worth of shells,but I luv just hearing that kerpluck as the shells come off and into my box.Not too fast loading cause after reading this website I check each 5th or 10th shell for powder load.Always right on the money.I know,overkill on the powder checking,but I'd rather overkill that then have something go wrong anf hurt someone at the club.
    Can't say anything bad about my MEC.

Doug H.

14. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

While I own a 9000 if I had my druthers I would rather have a old 761 or 8567 Grabber.
    Some times the 9000 is a PITA if you don't stroke it just right with spilled shot etc... and the grabber is a much simpler machine to use.
    While you will have spilled shot with any machine the grabber/650 series MEC's somewhat minimize it.
    Also a quick tip... Mount your loader on and old cookie sheet. Keeps shot off of the rest of the bench and floor.
    Also get a progressive machine NOW. New or used it will be some of the best money you have spent.
    Hope this helps....

15. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I used Gun Clubs as a cost comparison for my 9000G. It took me 3900 shells loaded to recover the cost of the loader. I am loading for about $4.15 or so for 25 shells. I can load 100 in about 10 minutes or less so a registered ATA shoot (300 birds) takes me well under an hour to load, sort and box the shells.

16. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have loaded on MEC single stage loaders for 12+ years. Then I caught a deal on a 9000G in 20 gauge. All I can tell you is that I thought I had discovered fire! I actually LIKE to load shells now. To make matters even better; I got a 9000GN with the new primer feed and WOW!

I sold all of my MEC Size Masters except the .410 bore. I want a 9000GN in 28 ga now.

17. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I agree with Flincher.
    Buy another 600 and have those kids reloading their own shells.
    They might learn something.
    In the 70's my summers were spent baling hay,shelling corn,mowing yards,walking beans and slaving away over a 12ga. Lyman Easy shotshell reloader.
    I would have given my left nut for a 600jr. to load with then.
    But if your really shooting high volumes of shells a progressive may be the way to go.

It just seems that kids today do not ever have to do things for themselves
    nowadays. [jeesh I sound like a oldtimer]

18. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

I consider reloading as a separate sport (hobby). I enjoy it very much. I have a 9000 plain and it works just fine even after 2 complete factory rebuilds.

19. glenns

glenns Member

Keep the 600 around. With a progressive it's handy to have the 600 in case you have an oops. I have my 600 right next to my 9000G.

I bought my 9000G used on TS.com a few months ago for $325. I can easily reload 350 rounds in an hour. Even stopping to measure the powder when I feel like it.

Never had a problem with the 9000G - though you do need to lubricate it periodically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.