1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 hydraulic VS Automate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhwbailey, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Thinking of going auto. Am I better off with the hydraulic unit, or the automate one?

2. newcastle

newcastle Member

If your only going to be loading 12 ga at home then I would get a hydraulic,if you plan on subgauge/ possible travel then get the automate.

3. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I just got a hydraulic MEC and I like it. It will put out the shells and is not as noisy than what I expected. I had to have an electrician put me a 110 circuit on my loading bench. Don

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

I have no experience with Automate, but can testify that hydro is an excellent machine; a real workhorse.

5. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

The hydraulic is operated by your foot leaving both hands free to reach for another hull and wad. The Automate requires your hands to push two buttons each time. The foot is much quicker and I feel less tiring.

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I’m very pleased with my Automate.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The Automate offers portability, something a reloader without a dedicated work area will appreciate. When finished loading on the coffee or kitchen table, just unplug it and put the whole works in a closet - it doesn't have to fastened down and has no provision for that. It's also quieter and less cluttered than a hydraulic system and has no potential for leakage.

The foot vs hands operation thing is a non-issue for me, as I don't reload for raw speed. But there's probably no reason why a new MEC Automate could not be converted to work like my ATS Automate - just push both buttons and the machine operates while your hands pick up another hull and wad.

Ed

8. 2shot

2shot Member

Have to agree with JBMI. I have used a hyd. for years. I have two reloadsrs set up to run off one hyd. unit.I seldom change bars or bushings just the hyd. connection.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

A few years ago at the Pa. state shoot I watched the MEC rep. demonstrate the Automate. He had more problems then Obama will have in office.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Well, I have to assume he did not know how to set it up properly. And there isn't a whole lot to that, so I think you know what I'm saying about him...

After a few routine adjustments during the first flat of shells I loaded on mine five years ago, I've not touched it or the loader with a tool except to change bars or bushings (and I don't need tools for that, either!). I've replaced two fuses because I was stupid enough to cycle the machine with a finished shell under the resizing/decapping die. Mine's been about as trouble-free as a machine can be.

Ed

11. newcastle

newcastle Member

I have both, and I think I would just buy the automate to start with, bucket slides right under shoot for shells, portability a plus, not a big deal keeping buttons pressed it gives you a chance to check primer drop and other functions for problems and if you plan on loading 28 or 410 there will be a occasional problem. automate works fine once you get it set up. Buy the automate and be done with it.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Been using the hydraulic (plus a Grabber) for gotta be 15 years now. I fully recommend it but might consider the automate if I were in the market now. Ed's remarks are right on regarding portability; mine's set up permanently in the garage.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

automate vs hydraulic mec 9000

mec 9000 hydraulic reloader vs automate

mec automate or hydraulic

trapshooters automate vs hydraulic