1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 9000 hydraulic unit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kmks5, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmks5

kmks5 TS Member

Do It, I mounted a Mec Hydraulic unit on a 9000G over 10 years ago and never a problem even after many thousand reloads. Sure saves the arm.

2. crew

crew TS Member

Mine wasn't to old when the Hyd. cylinder started leaking out the top. Its not much but it does get oil under the loader. I called mec and I believe what they told me was after three years they just replace the cylinder. I thought they might have a kit for it but at that time they didn't. Its not bad so I haven't done anymore about it. I do like it but would consider the new Electric unit at this time if I didn't already own the Hyd. Just my experience..

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

There are a couple for sale on ebay.

4. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

did you look into the Automate , i have one and would not trade it for nothing. Jeff

5. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Buy it. I have one for over 10 years, no problems at all. It has loaded many thousand shells, & the finished shell looks & shoots like new ones.

6. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Does the auto mate or hydraulic stop automatically if something goes south,or do they just keep on truckin,i've always been curious,and have never used either.
    Sometimes a wad may not go in just right and buckle the hull mouth or something,
    i can usually stop by hand if something doesn't feel right, or somethinf starts goin south, the automatics probably just crunch whatever the problem is i'd guess.

7. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

You can stop the hyd. just by stopping your foot motion.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The electric stops and reverses if it meets unusual resistance. The hydraulic is fully proportional control. You press down on the petal a little, the press goes down a little. You let up a little, the press goes up a little. I like the hydraulic because it leaves my hands free.

9. coffee

coffee Member

Never had a serious problem. After thousands of shells it may have to be tweaked but nothing out of the ordinary. And don't forget parts do wear just like everything else.........COFFEE

10. joconnor

joconnor Member

I have both and each works as advertised. The big difference is that the hydraulic is at least 50% faster than the electric. Just my observations. Jerry O'Connor

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have a Mec 9000H that is over 18 years old and has reloaded well over 500,000 rounds. Absolutely no problems with it, ever! I set the loader up right out of the box, and have been reloading ever since with only a minor adjustment now and then. Sent it back to Mec to have it completely rebuilt 2 years ago. They charged me $135.00, including shipping, to overhaul it. The hydraulic system have never leaked, and never failed to operate perfectly. At one time, We compared the Automate electric unit to mine. We both started at the same time and reloaded 25 shells. My 25th shell was ejected from the loader before the Automate had finished the 21st. load. Having been able to reload on both, I prefer the hydraulic unit......Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

They warranty the cylinders. I called to inquire and they took my info and sent me one with a bill and a box. I sent the old one back in the provided box and they credited the purchase price to the bill. They said this keeps people from claiming that theirs failed and then selling the cylinder to the unsuspecting

13. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

i hate mine.

14. rdf59

rdf59 Member

jackmitch

Why do you hate yours?

15. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Has antone tried to adapt 1 to a Dillion?

16. CharlieHill

CharlieHill TS Member

Auto-Mate! If nothing else, for the quieter operation. That pump whine on the hydraulic will drive you crazy after a while.

17. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Automate is the new and better choice for the MEC. If you must have and like constant noise and fluid issues, and something to bang into on the floor, go with the hydraulic. Electric power is so much better it is not even a close decision. I have used an ATS for years and love it.

18. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

rdf59 i hate it cause it crushes hulls all the time. i can go along for a while and everything is fine and then it will crush 1 or 2 or 10 hulls. i try to figure it out(clean it, look for problems etc) it might work after that and it might crush more. i haven't been able to use it lately due to hand problems but i dread using it. i used my 9000g the last shells i loaded cause i can tell by feel when something isn't right.jackmitch

19. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

steve i probably should as the 9000g is hard on my shoulders. it's getting to the point i wish i had just bought shell with the money i spent on the h cause they were still relatively cheap then.jackmitch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 9000 hydraulic conversion
mec hydraulic problems

mec hydraulic unit