1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 Hyd Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smithy47, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I recently purchased a used MEC 9000 hydraulic press from this site. I got it home and set it up to load 12ga and it worked OK. (I loaded about 10 boxes of shells) The previous owner had bent the index plate but had a new one in the box of accessories he gave me.
    I moved the press to a new location and decided to take it apart to replace the index plate before setting it back up again.

It was very dirty and had powder and shot all over the parts. I cleaned it up.
    Now when I started loading again the press comes down the same speed as it did before but when I let up off the pedal it springs to the full upper position very quickly. It went back up much slower before I had it apart.

Is something wrong or was it just gunked up enough to move up slower before I cleaned it? Should the piston return slowly on the upstroke?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bob

2. FLIP

FLIP Member

adjust the valve on the cylinder

3. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Oh, that is what that valve is for! I had it open all the way. Thanks!

I probably ought to get a book from MEC but I own 4 other MEC's and did not think I needed it, looks like I do.

Thanks FLIP !

Bob

4. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Bob,

A stupid question on my part but after you cleaned it did you lube all pivot points, the column where the turret slides up and down.The actuator rod controls the collet and the shell carrier. Put a good oil on these places like 3in1, marvels mystery oil.etc a fine coat will do the job if to much is put it will be that much more on a dust,powder magnet.lol if you have any further questions you may call me at 423-743-9233.

thanks
    lee

5. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Lee, yes, I did lubricate it at the parts that move. I used some remoil as it has silicone in it and sticks pretty well.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I appreciate it and your help.

Bob

6. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Smithy47,

Be careful with the silicone around the primers.If it comes in contact with the primers it will ruin them, voice of experience.

Dennis

7. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Clayman51,

That is good to know. Thanks!

Bob

8. Joe Si

Joe Si Member

Hi Guys, FYI, I think MEC only recommends "powder graphite" as a lubricant on their machine.

ACE Hardware sells small tubes of the graphite.

9. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

FYI, I went to the MEC website to look at the instruction manual for the used 9000H that I bought. I found what I needed.
    A day later a MEC rep sent me a message noting that I was looking on their web site and asking if they could be of help.
    I replied that I only wanted to look at the 9000 manual and why. They then sent me a reply with a copy of the 9000 reloader manual attached.

All their reloader manuals are on line and can be viewed or downloaded.

Now that is customer service!

I added their web site above for anyone that is interested.

Thanks for all the input!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 hydraulic press