1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tcouch, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcouch

tcouch Member

Hello,

I have a MEC 9000 12ga reloader and i'm having issues with the resizer collet popping. What grease does everyone use around here? I have tried several kinds and nothing seems to work.

I have read the thread that Curley made on sw.com and I know he recommends a certain grease, but I wanted to see what worked for others.

Thank you,

Tim

2. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

You can buy anti-sieze in a spray can

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Curlynohair is very familiar with the MEC's. Have you tried to remove the collet and give it a thorough cleaning?

I use the same grease I use on my gun. Lucas Oil Red n' Tacky.

4. Doughboy

Doughboy Member

Tetra Gun grease. This stuff is super slick. It only takes a little bit. Make sure and clean the area between the collet and the red frame. It's not the easiest place to add lube but you'll notice a difference.

Happy lubing.

Kurt

5. Bama73

Bama73 Member

I know I am in the minority, but I just thouroughly spray mine with Rem oil before each loading session. I tried the grease but didnt like the mess it made on my loaded shells. Now I have only loaded about 15,000 or so shells on this machine since new, but I have had zero problems doing it this way.

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I've been using Dri Slide for over 20 years and it has worked for me.

Not about to change now.

I get the spray type.

One can will last you about 5 years or so.

Hauxfan!

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

The problem is the that the resizer is to tight. Back it off two or three clicks and put your grease in it. Also make sure your resizer is on the click flat spot not in between the notch's.
    I had the same problem and called Mec. They help me out with the problem.
    Get a Mec sizeing tool it is a big help.

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had a similar problem but it had to do with STS Rem. primers in the seating station. Chamged primers and problem was solved.

9. rautdr

rautdr Member

What Krazia said, probably too tight. Had that problem with mine. Backed it off a few flats and it's alot better and shells still slip right in gun.

Still wouldn't hurt to take it apart and give a thorough cleaning and lube. Good luck! Dan from Wis.

10. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

I called mec and they said to used a copper anti- sieze

Dave

11. Gayles57

Gayles57 Member

Had the same problem with mine. Performed all of the lubing suggestions mentioned in the above posts. They all worked for a short time. I finally bit the bullet and pulled the collet, I could not believe the amount of stuff that had collected under the closure assembly and closure bottom parts (Items 97 and 95 in the MEC parts illustration).

Remove the collet, clean it, lube it, and reassemble, MEC has adjustment instructions in the manual, its not hard. I use anti seize from the auto supply for lubrication.

Regards

Gayle

12. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

I gave up using anti-sieze and all other greases in favor of Blaster SL Silicone Lube. This stuff seems to last the longest and is easy to apply as it's a spray. I can go for about 2500 rounds before the collet need attention.You can pick it up at either Lowe's or Home depot.

Bob M.

13. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Disassemble and clean the collet, as Gayle said, then lube. Curleynohair on Shotgunworld posted a series of pictures of the procedure which is very helpful (http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=148737). Between lubes (every few hundred reloads or after a "spill") use the dental pick (MEC sells in their maintenance kit) to scrape the spaces between the collet fingers. These spaces MUST be clean or you will get the "ker-chunk" notice on the upstroke.

I use gunslick but the idea is to find something that will stay on the outside of the collet fingers.

Hope this helps,

Doc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

anti seize or greasy for collet on mec 9000

mec 9000 how to take apart