1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000-H

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill D., May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

I just changed to an adjustable charge bar on my 9000-H. My problem is the first five to eight powder charges are heavy. They can be as much as 1 to 11/2 grains heavy. After that they are fine. I have checked them both with and with out a powder baffle with the same result. Has any one else had a problem like this?

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

NO! I've been using that combination for close to 20 years and I can reliably predict the first drop to be heavy due to settling of the powder since the last time used but it's good to go from then on although I confirm that the second drop is OK. I don't like the after market powder baffles. But I have after market powder bottles with built in baffles (no longer made). Don't know just what to suggest for you except to weigh those first 5 or so until it all settles down......Bob Dodd

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I usually find it takes a few loads to settle everything in. IMO its no big deal.

4. Erik W

Erik W Member

I usually tap powder bottle a couple times after changing or topping off. With some powders, you can actually see powder level drop slightly as powder settles in bottle. Older ball powders usually throw first charge spot on, but fluffy or flake powders need to settle in bottle.

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I use same loader but no adj bar(bushings) and I note a difference of .05 gr from time to time---has something to do with amount of powder in the powder holder---mec says that little difference is nothing to worry about---I also have a Dillon 900 and notice a simular difference also---sjb---

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I take an empty hull, and run 3 powder drops x 3 times and dump the powder back into the powder tube. If you slide the spring off the slide stop, you can run these by hand without running the unit. It's much faster.

An empty hull usually hold 3 drops of powder, so I do it 3 times. It allows the powder to settle in. I then weigh a drop and check it.

7. Joe Smoke

Joe Smoke Member

Bill:
    I just went to the 9000H and adjustable bar and I am using Promo. I was getting as much as a .5 grain difference from shell to shell. The only way I could get it to stabilize was use the large bottle for powder, and always work off the top half. I also had to go to the baffle. Staying within .1 grains now. Make sure you pause at the bottom stroke to allow the powder to drop completely into the bar- you can short change it if you go too fast.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Got it Royce10. And Bill, yeah, by all means hesitate for a one count at the bottom of the stroke with the machine and do it the same every time for consistency.....Bob Dodd

9. FLIP

FLIP Member

take your bottle off look down the top, make sure the bar is moving all the way to the left

10. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

Thanks all for the input. I am going to load a flat one night week to try out the ideas

11. macgyver

macgyver TS Member

This may sound strange, but did you use the included flat brass washer that came with the unit and then put the rubber grommet on top? I use the Universal bar with Titewad and it stays dead on the money after the first shell. BTW, the brass washer has a flat and a rounded side. The flat side goes down. The idea with the flat washer was to create a more uniform powder charge. MEC uses a wavy washer with their bars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.