1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 H

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kerry, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

I am having trouble with Station 5, the Crimp Punch Station, on my 9000 Hydraulic Loader. I have the Crimp Punch adjusted down to where there no threads showing above the turrent, wad pressure is set at about 35 on the scale, but the shells are still coming out dished outwards instead of in. I have checked the linkage for wear, which looks okay. The loader is bottoming out to where the spacer on the linkage is almost hitting the square shaft. The MEC techs seem to think that the machine is worn and needs to be rebuilt, but the machine is not that old and I keep it properly lubricated on all of the wear places. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Never had that problem. Have you tried backing that screw up and re-adjusting the cam? My screw is way above the crimping die by approx. 3/8ths inch! I'd check that out first then try a new die at that station. Maybe the die itself is broken internally? Hap

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Kerry I have seen on a few used loaders I rehab.....Is the threads to the crimp die stripped out from the press body? Has the press been working fine, up till now?

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

What is your load? Might be too much stuff in the hull.

5. Robb

Robb Member

I think Mec offers an extra long crimp punch. I had the same issue and the longer punch fixed problem.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

What is the load composition that your assembling?

7. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

I talked to MEC and have ordered the extra long crimp punch. They say that this may fix my problem, but that something else is probably going on. The load that I am loading is just a standard 1 1/8 oz. load using AA shells, W-209 primer, 18.2 gr. of Clays with either a Downrange or Claybuster 1 1/8 wad.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Are you using a Downrange or Claybuster 1 1/8 wad meant for a straight walled case? (Not all 1 1/8 wads are the same. You should be using one meant for a tapered case.) Are you getting the wad seated pass the lip of the basewad (if your AA hulls are the HS variety)?

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

To start out with, after dropping shot, how far down in the hull is the upper layer of shot?? If less than .400", and I prefer .450" minimum, you're trying to compress too much and the crimp hold it. It's easy for the factory to do it on virgin plastic and hull, and it hold. An old hull just can't hold it, not for any period of time.

If you don't have that distance, get some of the Downrange F114 replacements, or the original Winchester 114's before they changed them. They'll give you about .070" extra room, are lighter than the white wads, no pressure issues.

10. willing

willing Member

Sounds like the wad is catching on the base wad(New Win AA?}.

Bill

11. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

Yes, I am using the new AA HS hulls.

12. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

This used to be on the Winchester website:

CATALOG · NEW PRODUCTS · RELOAD AA

Reloading the New AA® High Strength Hull

Winchester has designed the new 12-guage AA high strength hull to reload with the same reloading data as the old AA hull. However, on some reloading machines, even though the components and reloading data are the same, there may need to be a minor adjustment made to the reloading machine to optimaze load fit and appearance.

Some adjustments that can be made:

Shooters need to lower the starter crimp or pie crimp (Fig 1). Proper adjustment should eliminate the slight buckle some shooter see if this adjustment is not made.

The shell in Fig 2 shows an example of the crimp after adjusting the starter crimp stage. Shooters should not be able to put a pencil eraser down into the shell after the proper adjustment.

Another adjustment that can be made is to the wad ram (Fig 3). Most reloading machines are setup for 25 to 30 lbs. of pressure. An increase of wad pressure (up to 45 lbs.) will help seat the wad, and will help the final crimping on the shell.

On some reloading machines with a tapered crimp die, be sure that the final crimping stage on the reloading machine is clean and has no residue build up.

Please contact your reloading machine manufacturer if you need additional assistance making the proper adjustments to your reloader.

Shooter have found that after making a slight adjustment to the reloading machines good quality crimps and long reloading life are consistenly obtained with the new AA high strength hull. The old style AA hull can also be reloaded with the new adjustments.

13. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Robb is right and I don't know why they don;t use the longer bolt to start with...I've only seen two machines that needed the longer bolt but that is enough...GOOD LUCK

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Start with the wad. If the top of the shot charge is not 7/16" below the mouth of the hull, your column height is excessive. Some wad pressure adjustment might help, but a wad change is better, especially for old hulls.

Next is the precrimp, the hole in the center should be the size of or a little smaller than a lead pencil.

The crimp die and punch adjustments are inter related. A swirl or hole in the center necessitates a cam adjustment. A crimp punch adjustment may bring a swirl or a hole, and then the cam will need tweaking.

The final station should only round the edge of the crimp, too much here can buckle the hull.

My crimp punch is all the way down, i think I need that longer one.

Good luck.

HM

15. Robb

Robb Member

Bob K , that is good info.

Shady Creek , My thoughts exactly. The longer one is just slightly longer. Looks like cutting more threads on either would end problem. For all the good that Mec has going it ain't really enough to bitch about.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

621B12LT is the part no you are looking for. I install this part routinely as part of a service and all my 12 ga presses get this part. Mec has these in stock.

Call Mec at 1-800-797-4632.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 9000 h

mec 9000 hitting ram

mec 9000g crimp cam punch

mec 9000g stripped cam screw

mec cam crimp punch