1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 GN with Automate question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pat D, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I have a MEC 9000 GN with the Automate. Regarding station one (sizing and depriming) the shell lifter occasionally does not lift up to the same height creating a condition that when the turret rotates the shell base will get caught on the fingers of the collet and jam up the cycle of the turret. What I see if happening if the shell lifter comes up just below the fingers (approx 1/16") just enought that the shell base gets caught when beginning to rotate. It will happen approx every 15 shells more or less. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Pat

2. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Raise the shell lifter. Instructions in your MEC instruction book. Very easy to do. Might take a minute at most. The arm which lifts the shell lifter (and lowers it) is connected to the wad guide. The guide is threaded at the bottom. Loosen the lock nut at the bottom and turn the arm up so that the shell lifter goes up higher. Retighten the lock nut.

If that is the cause, that is the solution. There may be another cause. If the wheel on the ATS does not stop where it should, the connection to it may need adjusting. Call MEC or ATS for instruction. That adjustment is not difficult either. I have the first series and that adjustment is also described in the ATS instructions.

3. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I have a MEC 9000 GN with the Automate. Regarding station one (sizing and depriming) the shell lifter occasionally does not lift up to the same height creating a condition that when the turret rotates the shell base will get caught on the fingers of the collet and jam up the cycle of the turret. What I see if happening if the shell lifter comes up just below the fingers (approx 1/16") just enought that the shell base gets caught when beginning to rotate. It will happen approx every 15 shells more or less. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Pat

4. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Raise the shell lifter. Instructions in your MEC instruction book. Very easy to do. Might take a minute at most. The arm which lifts the shell lifter (and lowers it) is connected to the wad guide. The guide is threaded at the bottom. Loosen the lock nut at the bottom and turn the arm up so that the shell lifter goes up higher. Retighten the lock nut.

If that is the cause, that is the solution. There may be another cause. If the wheel on the ATS does not stop where it should, the connection to it may need adjusting. Call MEC or ATS for instruction. That adjustment is not difficult either. I have the first series and that adjustment is also described in the ATS instructions.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

If your problem is only intermittent (once every 15 shells or so) I don't think it would be due to the lifter height adjustment or the ATS position. These issues would occur every time. With my 9000E, I noted early on that the sizing collet grease MEC recommends and sells does not work well, and wears off quickly. This causes the sizing collet to stick, not releasing the shell/lifter well at times, and can cause jamming. Good lubrication of the sizing collet is critical to good operation, so I would suggest you obtain a better quality anti-seize lube and use it regularly. Also, dirt, powder granules, and pieces of shot can become lodged in the collet fingers, causing the lifter to stick intermittently. The MEC manual covers this issue thoroughly and explains in detail how to clean collet and lifter to keep this from happening. It is just one of the quirks of the MEC, but if you follow the MEC guidance on keeping this area clean and lubed, I think you will find such problems pretty much go away. Overall, the 9000E is a great reloader, but with the MEC, cleanliness is not just a virtue, it almost has to be a religion.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my 9000G/Automate II combo and just tweaked the angle of the lever that lowers and raises the lifter until the odd shell stopped "tripping over" the collet fingers.

Ed

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

It could also just need cleaning. Take it out and clean it off, maybe lightly oil it and see if it doesn't work better.

Hauxfan!

8. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Thank you for all your replies,
    I'm going down stairs and take the collet apart for a full cleaning. By all your suggestions it probably needs a good cleaning and lube. I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
    Pat

9. Beretta Man

Beretta Man TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

i have a mec 9000 reloader the shell lifter does not lift up

problem with a mec 9000 gn