1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 Collet Question?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by winchesterAA, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

Hi,
    One of the fingers on my collet is bent slightly right near the opening where you would slide in the empty, I have too take my finger and pull it back a bit before putting the shell into that station, If i do not pull it back the shell will catch on it and not drop down into the collet, How hard is it too take it apart? And if i did take it apart could i bend that finger back so upon reassmebly it would be back too the way it came from the factory. Or do i need too buy a new collet? Thanks Richie

2. Hullchucker

Hullchucker TS Member

The finger on your collet is broken and you will need a new collet. Around 30.00 from Mec. Hullchucker

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Hullchucker is right...you gotta buy a new one...the collet finger is most likely broken, if it isn't, it will break soon. Been there, done that...it ain't fun. Ed

4. Harold

Harold TS Member

The manuals are on the MEC web site. I'd take it apart first just to make sure it's not just a piece of shot stuck in there.

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Richie,yes,if it's not broken you can bend it back. I've done it. I took mine out of the machine. Not a big job. Take your time,it bends easier than you think. Clean all parts and regrease. GOOD LUCK

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I agree with what Shady said. Taking the collet out is not that big of a deal. I've actually found that when you have the collet out without the ring around it, the gaps between the fingers are not consistent anyway. so, you should be fine to disassemble, bend the offending finger back, clean, use anti-seize on the collet body and re-assemble.

If the finger falls out when the ring is off, well then obviously it's broken and you will need to order a new part. Also, my comment above about the finger gap differences applies to used machines. They are consistent on new ones.

Brett D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.