1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 9000 charge bar timing problem?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by M R Ducks, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

So I'm new to this reloading thing - I have a new 9000gn which worked just fine for 23 shells and then the charge bar stopped moving. It locks in place to the left just fine, but no longer releases to mvoe right under pull from teh return spring. Looks like a timing problem?? Seems the rod that should trip the lock does not strike it until the pivot has moved enough to allow the return spring to laoad the bar against the clasp??

I see no way to adjust the timing - any help??

Joe

2. trapshooter1581

trapshooter1581 TS Member

I had this problem...resolved it by adding 2 thick washers between the spring plate and the charge bar. This put enough additional tension in the spring to pull the charge bar back.

Dave

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you look at your manual and look at the powder section for the bar you will see the powder jug, then the big black washer and then a thin brass washer. Replace the thin brass washer. It will flatten out and catch the frame and bar and stop it in place. I just had to do that myself. Just remember to have the bumps facing up when you put it in place.

4. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

I'm not explaing the problem correctly.... It's not that the bar gets stuck, it's that it doesn't unlock. The catch that hooks the bottom right of the charge bar never gets released.

Joe

5. JimC

JimC Member

Lower the reprime tube. It's in the manual.

6. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

With a allen key. Loosen the band on the powder drop tube By the spring...Lower the tube a notch or two.and retighten the band.this controls the timing..Some hulls are a little shorter in the base was section and this can cause the bar to not unlock ..

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dave R: Don't you suppose what you are doing is redirecting the pull rather than putting more pressure on the springs? Dave P

8. trapshooter1581

trapshooter1581 TS Member

DaveP: Adding the washers increases the installed load of the spring. The ttickness of the washers is 0.130 inches. This is the added load that will try to keep the bar to the right. Yes, it does take more force to pull the handle down if that is what you are asking? If I am not explaining this adequately, I can take a photo and try to post it?

Dave

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Lower the re-prime tube a little at a time until you receive the desired result. This is what is making the charge bar lock engage when you don't want it to. Don't over-tighten the allen head that tightens on the re-prime tube. They strip easily and there is no need for brute strength here. It is in the Mec manual and will solve your issue. Rick ~~~~Texas

10. cookoff

cookoff TS Member

What palos and rick 979 said. Have just been through the exact same issue several weeks ago.

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Are you mixing hulls. As said the drop tube will cause problems also if you are useing a baffle that is a newer style you dont need the black washer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cahrgebar gets stuck on mec 9000gn

mec 9000 retiming

mec 9000gn bar will not engage

mec charge bar not unlocking

mec charging bar wont engage

replacing the bar lock spring on a mec 9000gn

timing of a mec 9000

universal charge bar for mec 9000 reloader