1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 761 Grabber collet finger broken - weld?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by len loma, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len loma

len loma TS Member

I have an older Mec Grabber 761 with a broken finger on collet re-sizer. I understand this is carbon steel. It does not move very much so I wonder has anybody successfully repaired one by tig or mig welding? Thank you, Len

2. JT 27

JT 27 Member

The collet is spring steel, you will destroy the spring by welding.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They're not all that expensive, just get a new one.

4. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Just give MEC a call very reasonable part,

5. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

Not worth the trouble fixing. Call Gamaliel, order a new one.
    MEC Old Style 12g Collet. SKU: M8009 $49.95

6. len loma

len loma TS Member

I have Ponsness and Mec reloaders and use this Grabber for my daughters loads. With that said I have nothing to lose trying to welded collet.

The collet is high carbon steel. I would how ever like to point out that I filed the broken edges easily for full penetration of weld. I would not rate it as hard as typical spring steel. Feeling less heat would not burn out as much carbon from steel I decided to mig weld rather then tig. I hosed clamped socket inside collet and welded. It welded nice. Ground off excess weld and filed it smooth.

The finger compresses and returns no diffent then other fingers. I black oxided surface and will put it to the test. If this safes me $50 bucks (plus shipping cost) then great. Time will tell. I will let you know at the end of season.
    Len

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Looks like you had your mind made up long before posting your question...

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have seen them welded in the past and they would often work for a time. They all seem to break again though. I save money when I can but the pain in the ass of remving the collet and calibrating it to have it break 10 shells later makes me just buy another one. I have seen them last thousands of rounds and 10 rounds. Just depends. Good luck. If it is for a 20ga, I have an extra used one you can have for 20.00 shipped. Jeff

9. len loma

len loma TS Member

Sorry CALKID I did not make up my mind well before moving ahead with this. I simply did not see replys and input from people who have attempted collet repairs. I have been a Journeyman machine repairman for over 35 yrs. who manages a maintenance department for a large company. I simply was looking for some input on issue from the many knowledgeable people on this website. Had I read replys of nothing but failures I would have replaced it. Len

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The collet always breaks at a flex point. Welds do not flex to match the original material...Your stressing above or below the weld and I haven't seen one of these welded that didn't fail in a short period.

Good luck, I've tried it myself and ended up replacing the collet shortly after.

Big Jack

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

you also likely get a heat check on either or both sides of the weld, that will likely be the weak spot where it will crack at some point in time down the road.

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I would have thought your 35 years of experience would have taught you basic metallurgy. Heating up metal, especially spring, will temper it and make it brittle. Good luck.

13. len loma

len loma TS Member

CalKidd you are special. I'll leave it at that. Any way best of luck to you this season. Len

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec m8009