1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 650?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chuckie68, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

What is a used Mec 650 worth in 28 ga.? It's in decent shape.

2. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

AROUND 150.00 rember it dose not resize

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I know it doesn't resize. I have two in 12 ga. Any ideas on the worth of a 28ga. sizemaster?

4. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

FWIW...I have a 650 and have been using it for two years. I never resize ANY of my once-fired hulls that have been purchased. (Not fired by me out of this gun). I've never had one not go into my BT-99. Someone may have issues with another type of gun (an auto-loader maybe) but I've even found that they cycle well in my 11-87. I think it has more to do with what type of hull you're using (these are all Nitro / STS) and whether or not you are using them in more than one type of firearm...

5. Crickets

Crickets Member

Uh oh Rossi396, You'll have the resizing police on you shortly. Haven't you been told - If you don't resize your shells you'll inevitably end up holding up a squad some day, AND "People that are 'serious' about reloading use equipment that produces a factory or better shell, if you're not serious enough about your reloading to resize.....you should just stick to promo shells".... ;-)

CR

6. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

A used 28 gauge Sizemaster is worth around $125 in good shape

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The MEC 650 CAN resize a shell. It must be done in a seperate operation. No other loading operation can be done when resizing. There is a part that one puts on the shell platform at station one. This elevates the shell above the black rotating hull carrier. The sizing works the same as the 600 with a ring sizer.
    That said,I use a Super Sizer in a seperate operation. You can also use a Case Conditioner. The 650 works the best in the 28 & .410. The platform is very stable,causing less jiggle & spillage plus there is less interconnent between stations to cause problems.

8. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

I probably ought not post this, but I have never been a big fan of the 650. I messed with one for a while and finally just went back to Juniors. And, I like MEC products; it was just the 650 I did not care for.

Mike

9. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Mike:

Why not? No specifics? The only thing I can say that I don't like is I have to manually spin the carriage. I started reloading shells two years ago. I knew literally nothing about it. I've reloaded thousands of shells on a machine that is probably at least 20 years old, spits out flawless shells, never needs adjusted and can reload a flat of shells or more in an hour. The lack of resizing (as stated above) is a non issue. I paid $40.00 for the unit from a fellow club member and put on a large primer tray, new crimp starter and wad guide so I have a whopping $120.00 into the machine..

All this being said, I may go to an auto indexing MEC or possibly a hydraulic unit down the road due to the amount of shells I'm loading. By the way, if you're using a Junior, how much shooting / reloading are you doing? Just curious.

Regards,

Rossi

10. psfive

psfive Member

I have loaded on a MEC 650 now for the better part of 20 years. Tens of thousands of shells. Run all empties through a separate sizing operation. Works Great. Paul in Nebraska.

11. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Like I said....... I probably should not have posted.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.