1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 650 reloader question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzoom, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzoom

zzoom Member

I have a new mec 650, when moving from deprime station to prime station, hull seems to "catch" on something. Only happens about 50% of the time. I am reloading once fired Remington club loads, 12 gauge. Remington STS primers. I am not resizing hulls as will only shoot in my o/u, and have been told was not necessary to resize, but wondering if this is the problem since it doesn't happen every time. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

2. geeber

geeber Member

I have had something similar happen on my 650 and found that a primer was not fully seated and was dragging. I hope this helps.
    Gary B.

3. zzoom

zzoom Member

Geeber
    Thanks for reply. However, it is dragging or catching when moving to the reprime position. When past this station, works great.

4. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

I know you said it was new, but have you spilled any powder or shot on your press? you may have a piece of shot smashed in it. This is just one thing that would cause that. ya might want to try a different hull to see if it does that to them. I don't shoot or reload gun clubs but I think they have a metal base this might be hanging your press up. Hope this helps ya, just a few thoughts that came to mind. Rick

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Are you loading one shell at a time? Or using it as a progrssive press with multiple shells? HMB

6. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

My 20 ga. 650 does the same thing, all I do, is lift the deprimed shell a little, and it rotates great

7. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

Adjust the primer seating punch per the manual to increase primer seating pressure. Remington primers should be no problem in that hull. I have had poor luck with other primers in the Remington hulls.

8. zzoom

zzoom Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will keep tinkering with it until fixed. Will post what problem was when resolved. Good shooting to all.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

zzoom - HMB asked a good question. If you are using it progressive mode, how do you know the hangup in going to the reprime station? Maybe it's coming off the reprime station.

But it you are correct, i.e. the hang-up is going to the reprime station, most of the solutions so far tendered are irrelevant.

10. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I had to back off my deprime punch a bit to eliminate this problem on my 650. Remmies seem to bulge a bit at the primer hole if too much pressure is used to deprime.

HTH

AndyH :)

11. zzoom

zzoom Member

believe I have discovered the cause. When primer drops into reprime position, it appears to extend a fraction above top, shell is "bumping" against it. Don't understand why it doesn't happen everytime..will continue to tinker. Again, thanks to everyone for replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.