1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 650 reloader problem, help!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzoom, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzoom

zzoom Member

Having a problem with my Mec 650. On station 3, the wad is catching on the "lip" of the hull, so the wad does not seat correctly, distorting the top of hull and yes making heck of a mess. Does not do this every time, probably 2-3 times in 25 hulls. Very frustrating! I am reloading once fired sts hulls with clay buster wads. Can't figure out if it is the hull or reloader causing problem. The wad guide has a small amount of "play", probably 1/8 to 1/4" of movement. Is this normal or should it be tight with no movement? Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Have only been reloading a few months, bought reloader new and have loaded around a 1000 hulls.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'd lower the wad guide a tad. Small increments till the wads quit catching the hulls edge. You may need a new plastic wad guide also if fingers are missing or flared out too much? If you set the guide too low, it will tear off the wad fingers in a heartbeat too!!

Hap

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you are bringing the handle down and the wad catches on the edge of the hull, stop, move the handle up and see why the wad is catching on the hull. HMB

4. revarc

revarc Member

This has also happened to me with my 650 and CB wads. The problem for me was a slight imperfection, a small bump on the base of the CB wad. That caused the wad to hang up on the hull mouth. Using a wad with a completely smooth base solved it for me.

My wad guide moves as yours does. I ensure it's pushed in over the hull before seating the wad.

Russ

5. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Sounds like the wad guide is out of adjustment, make sure it lines up dead center on the hull. Loosen the guide holder and lower the guide down directly over the hull and raise it back up carefully so it stays lined up with the shell top. Be sure the guide holder stays on the rod at the same angle when you raise the guide. It will have a little bit of play from the rod it is mounted on, that is normal, but the guide itself and the mounting piece should be tight to the rod.

Check to be sure that you do not have a damaged finger in the guide, not likely with a new machine, but possible. Loaded literally thousands of CB wads with no issues.

6. zzoom

zzoom Member

Thanks to all for the replies-will try suggestions and keep tinkering-or give in and by Spolar......

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Many years ago I got into the habit of placing the shot cup up on the tube instead of putting it into the wad guide as I bring the press down. Doing that, the wad guide enters the mouth of the case before the wad spreads the fingers, never had that problem again.. Just make sure the wad guide is centered on the case. Works for me!

Big Jack

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

I agree with Big Jack. Been doing what he said for the past 4 years on my 650, never had a problem.

Charlie

9. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I'm with big jack.

Been doing the same thing for years, works for me.

ed

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

As mentioned in my reply to your other thread, Call MEC and get their help. If the hulls vary in length, sometimes a quick adjustment will get you back in order. Replacing the wad guide is a cheap and simple solution to a ton of issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 650 loader tips

mec 650 reloader tips

mec 650 reloader trip rod problems

mec 650 trip rod

mec relader wad does not stay down

mec relaoder troubleshoot wad finger guide

mec650 tips

replacing wad fingers on mec 650