1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 650 Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

A friend of mine has a problem with his 650 not wanting to deprime empties. By that I mean it wants to bottomout at about half stroke. I looked at it and its beyond me what's happening, or not. The 650 is such a simple thing I can't see how a problem of this nature could be so difficult to resolve. It the old style-no grabber. Shell brand doesn't matter. Any ideas? Ihave heard of this same thing happening with the 9000's also.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Did you attempt to loosen the nut and adjust the length of the rod? HMB

3. Crickets

Crickets Member

Have you looked to see if anything is getting caught on the down stroke? I dont mean to be Mr Obvious, but had a similar problems and found that my wad guide had gotten bumped and my shot tube was hitting it.

4. Dave P

We looked at everything possible. It'll work ok for a while then decide to act up. It's been ok for years until now????????????
    PS: MEC must have a new guy there per my buddy as he had no idea what my friend was talking about. I've always had good lick when calling MEC myself in the past.

5. Crickets

Crickets Member

Is the charge bar moving freely?

6. grl

grl Member

I have a problem with my grabber on occasion. It is an older one with a low base, and often spent primers will stack up under the deprime station and stop the deprime tube from going all the way down. You simply have to keep the old primers cleaned out.

7. revbook

revbook Member

I have had that happen! Check the sizing collet to see if there are any shot pellets between the sections of the collet. These stray pieces of shot will keep the collet from closing and prevent the handle from going all the way down.

Don

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the 650 but if it has the same 6 stations as the 9000g and it happens only now and then. With my 9000G it is usually the shell under the final taper die is not quite centered. When the handle binds feel the shell at the final station to see if die is not going over the shell.

Jason

9. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

When you say it bottoms out is this before it deprimes? If so look at the red plate that is at the top of the press. Push the handle down and look at the red plate where the handle reaches it's down stroke, see if there are two marks where the handle bars hit the plate. This happens over time, you will see two spots where the paint is gone and a grove is in the metal. If so remove the handle place in a vice, heat with a map gas unit and rebend the handle .

10. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Recently had my old 650 do the same but found that my wad guide was blocking the pre crimp die from dropping. Adjust accoringly. May not be the cause. Bernie's sounds more serious. I never experienced that happening but it too is possible.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

revbook,does your 650 have a sizing die collet? The one I had years ago didn't have a sizing die collet.

Like grl says, using that primer catch tray underneath must be emptied often or it will cause problems on the down stroke.

Hap

12. SCL

SCL Member

The 650 does not have a sizing die or collet at the deprime stage. Its a seperate unit. Tilt the head/ charge bar back and see if it still has problems. If no, look at the charge bar for movement problems. If yes, then do as mentioned before and look at the wad guide height. That thing will drive you crazy!

Scott

13. Dave P

Thanks all for the info. We tried most all your suggestions but I'll see my buddy this weekend and go back and try all these suggested solutions. Dave

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Does it do the same thing with no shell in the station? Then it is not the shells. Look at the last part of the deprime rod. Maybe that is too big in diameter to go through the primer hole completely on some shells. Also possible that that last part is very short & the wider portion is hitting the inside base of some shells. Some shells have a high inside base & some are low. Does it do it with ALL brands? Another thing to do is section a shell in half all the way down logitudinally in the plastic part of the shell. Go to the brass & use a low brass shell. This will allow you to see the deprime unit as it acts inside the shell into the primer hole.

15. Dave P

I just got off the phone with my buddy. He said now that he has an old SEPARATE MEC DEPRIMER that he uses and all the shells ARE DEPRIMED before he puts them in the loader. The problem then is obviously in the primer seating station or beyond. He said that when he puts a shell in the primer station WITHOUT a primer in the primer seating station the arm ALWAYS goes down ALL the way. It's when there is a primer in there to be seated that the problem occurs and not with any brand of shell in particular. Sorry for changing lanes on everyone.

16. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

All good ideas for troubleshooting especially those advising tilting bottles back; trying without shell on the plate. Had a Sizemaster that did that on occasion and found that the actual depriming pin had bent slightly and would contact the base wad material edge rather than full contact with the primer. That along with the normal looseness of the machine resulted in what you describe. My guess is I forced the machine to deprime steel headed hulls with corroded steel primers and bent the pin. Easily fixed.

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

(1)Check to see if the priming ram is centered over the priming station and primer station is clear of obstructions or debris. (2)Try a different brand of primer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mec 650 deprime problem