1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 650 problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by zzoom, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zzoom

zzoom Member

I have mec 650, new to reloading. Have loaded 4 boxes with no problem. Sat down to reload a box today, when deprimed first hull, dropped powder and shot everywhere. Tried another, same result. Anyone have suggestion? Tanks?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Turn the powder and shot off until there is a hull there.

Matt

3. grntitan

What recipe did you use for the (4) boxes you have already loaded? Did you use a scale to make sure drops were right? Just want you to be safe.

Matt

4. zzoom

zzoom Member

Yes, used scale to measure drops, thanks for asking. Not sure how to turn shot and powder "off" until hull is there...

5. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

You have to put an empty shell under both stations to catch the powder and shot, then on the next step just one to catch shot, after you get 3 in you are good to go.

6. grntitan

You move the charge bar all the way to the left as far as it will go and use the charge bar lock(Photo #11). MEC 650 instruction manual PDF file above.

Matt

7. grntitan

I suppose you could also tilt the shot and powder bottles back out of the way too. You could also do as suggested above by rexxon if you really wanted too.

Matt

8. zzoom

zzoom Member

First boxes were loaded one shell at a time, with only one hull and worked great. Now it seems to be in "progressive " mode", dropping powder and shot when depriving hull. Seems like something needs to be reset to load one hull at a time....

9. grntitan

zzoom---The instructions i provided clearly shows how to do both. Id suggest re-reading the instructions. The Charge Bar Lock is how you prevent these unwanted drops. It is a Progressive loader.

Matt

10. zzoom

zzoom Member

Yes, I understand it is a progressive loader. Have reread instructions several times. Instructions in manual describe how to load one hull at a time, then according to manual, tilt primer feeder up and you are ready to load progressively. I am missing something somewhere...charge bar is locked all the way to the left when starting. Frustrating.

11. grntitan

I understand your frustration but i think the instructions only show single feeding in order to adjust each station before starting the progressive loading. With the bar locked to the left you would start at station #1 and only unlock bar once a hull has reached the station for powder drop. Doing it this way i don't understand how it is not working. Sorry i really am trying to help. Maybe somone else will jump in and think of something i'm forgeting.

Matt

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The lock bar should only unlock when there's a hull under the powder drop station. Have you cleaned up all the powder from that station from previous mistakes? Must be taken apart to do so! If so, remove both bottles and adjust the powder drop tube till the lock remains in place until you place an empty hull under it and activate.

Hap

13. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

Zzoom - Been there, done that many times. Besides some of the very helpful things that other shooters have posted, here is one of the best things that you can do.

Mount your reloader on a sided cookie sheet and attach the whole works to your bench. When the shot and powder drop all over the place, the cookie sheet will contain these materials and prevent them from dropping on the floor etc.

Have fun reloading and good luck!

Dave

14. zzoom

zzoom Member

Thanks to all. I tilted bottles back, released charge bar lock, then relocked. Have know idea why, but fixed problem! Have reloader mounted on 20x20" 1/2 inch plywood that I attached trim around, bolted to table. Catchs "mistakes" very well. Have small shop vac attached to table leg to clean up-keeps wife happy!

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why are you loading one shell at a time? HMB

16. zzoom

zzoom Member

Starting slow, want to do it right, when comfortable will use as progressive!

17. Hap MecTweaks

Start the progressive process slowly and it will become second nature fairly quick, without all those spills!!! Remember, if powder is spilled, take the primer plunger on the bottom apart to clean the spilled powder out!!!

Hap

18. zzoom

zzoom Member

Have a tiny attachment for shop vac, works great to clean up powder spills, even primer plunger

19. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

Zzoom: I had the same problem with my new Grabber. When you de-prime a shell and move it to station 2 WITH THE BAR LOCKED TO THE LEFT and then re-prime a shell and add powder IN STATION 2,the bar will UNLOCK and move to the right.Move the shell to station 3 and WITHOUT A SHELL IN STATION 2, add a wad and operate the handle. The bar will move and you will add shot to the shell and the bar will re-lock to the left. If there is a shell in station 2 to be reprimed and a shell in station 3 for a wad and shot, operating the handle will BOTH REPRIME AND ADD POWDER TO STATON 2 AND INSERT THE WAD AND ADD SHOT TO STATION 3. From the unlocked position the bar wil move to the left enough to add powder to 2 and shot to 3 and then return to the right hand position as the handle is raised to the top. Using the press as a progressive, there will always be a shell in station 2 and the charge bar will always be unlocked and positioned to the right. It will move left and right to re-prime and add powder to station 2 and at the same time will insert the wad at station 3 and drop shot. When you finish the run of shells and end up with no shell in station 2, the bar will re-lock to the left. DON'T FORGET THE WAD !!! Dave Hunt

20. Hap MecTweaks

zzoom, the way you were dropping powder on the priming station may be cleaned up as you did. One of these days there will be an empty hull at that station with no primer drop! It's at that time you must take the bottom apart to clean out the powder lodged in there. I too have a small end vacumn attachment near my loader and it can't get all the powder out with it. Glad to hear your's does.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
complaints with 650 mec
how to adjust station 2 on a mec 650

mec 650 drobs powder and shot at same time

mec 650 issues
mec 650 problems
mec 650 reloading problems
mec 650 trobleshoot

mec 650n lock and release issues