1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 650 or ?? 12 ga for police officer donation

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by whiz white, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As some of you may know my company sponsors some trap league teams made up of law enforcement agencies including local PD, Homeland Security, FBI, ICE, etc. It was my intent to get these folks together for some fun and it has been fairly successful, until...

Until the late afternoon summer before last when my first team on which I was shooting with a couple of PD guy got the emergency call while on the line to head to the hospital emergency room, STAT. We packed up and raced to the Rapid City Regional Emergency.

My second team captain, (James) Ryan McCandless while on patrol (he normally shot at this time, but scheduling problems) had been shot point-blank (upper arm-artery), along with two other officers while they were questioning a Native American who'd was walking , drinking beer, and tossing beer cans. A simple stop and talk, nothing serious, but unknown to the officers, this guy was just out of prison,early release, and (he - the NA, thought the officers knew he'd burglarizing), turned and shot all three point-blank with a handgun all before anyone could react. The two officers were attempting to learn who he was, and when Ryan heard the call, he thought he knew the guy and responded. Before he was clearly identified, AND AS Ryan approached, the guy opened fire in the casual group. Two other NA's who were with the shooter, and unaware of their "friend's" behavior, actually made gallant attempts to save the offices who were bleeding to death, along with an off-duty nurse passerby. My son actually drove by as the stop began and called me to see if I knew what all the fuss was. He was running a bank errand.

In the end, two officers were killed, Ryan bled to death and Nick was shot in the throat, one survived with a bullet entering the temple and traversing around the jaw and down to his lung. He is now a school liaison officer.

Unfortunately, Ryan and partner Nick Armstrong (Nick's dad is a friend who recently retired as a Capt in the SO) could not be saved. Going down, Ryan was able to unload his GLock 22 and dispense with the shooter, but never knew it. That saved the City in prosecution and prison.

I am now resurrecting the teams for spring league and one of the newer officers, a tall Swede, Jhans, indicated to me last week at a L/E retirement party that he wanted to reload for the others who wanted to shoot.

LONG STORY SHORT: This officer, and his officer wife, just had twins, so I
    I do have an 800B in parts I could start on, but thought something like a Mec 650 or the like would be easier for him to start with. I had a 650 back in 74 and it was OK.

If you have something that is NOT JUNK, but works and have a reasonable price tag on it, I might just take if off your hands for these neat officers.

I told him I'd look for a GOOD 12 gauge reloader, probably a Mec for him to reload with. I am supplying all the components too, just to make it more enticing for L/E to shoot.
    <BR>
    * Incidentally, in our local newspaper today, the Chief of Police, Steve Allender, wrote to the State Legislature supporting trained school personnel to be armed. Our state, SD, may be one of the first to approve such a bill.

Please use my email, not PM.

Whiz

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks to the graciousness of one ts.com member, he is shipping one in for the officers use AND refused to let me pay the shipping.

Thanks, Gary!

3. geeber

geeber Member

0   0   0

It is absolutly my pleasure Jim. I figure it is better to help someone in need than to let it sit in the closet.

Gary B.

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

0   0   0

Whiz,

Check your PM's

I sent 2 more LOL

Chuck

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

TTT