1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 600 Jr.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bruce Specht, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've had stored for a few years a 600 Jr. in 28 ga. I don't have a clue as to how to use it or set it up to reload the 28 ga AAHS hulls that I have. Any one have one or directions on how to use it?

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Go to Mec's web site and download manual on 600JR. You may want to list the components you have so you get suggestions for a load.

3. tigman46

tigman46 Well-Known Member

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll check it out

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Get some Winchester primers, Claybuster wads (the HS red ones), and some Alliant 20/28 powder. I use a #16 bushing to throw a little over 13 grains of powder. You should have a 3/4 oz shot bar. This will give you a load that crimps well and goes about 1200 fps. Adjust the precrimp so that it closes the folds to about 45 degrees and adjust the crimp lever to the middle position. Screw the crimp plunger up, and gradually screw it down a little at a time, as you keep trying to crimp a shell. Stop and lock it, when you have a good looking crimp.

Other things to check. It is a ring resizer on the first station, and should be about a dimes width above the base when the lever is down. Also, the drop tube should just bump the gauge when you seat the wad. If not, loosen and adjust the tube up or down. You don't need any wad pressure, other than to seat the wad over the powder.

28 gauge drop tube is narrow, and you will get occasional shot bridging, especially with larger shot. I listen for the shot dropping and check that the hull is full, when I move it over. It it didn't drop, put the shell back and tap the tube, to get the shot to drop in the shell, not all over the bench. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017