1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 600 jr ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

A guy that lives nearby wants to load 17gr red dot and 1oz shot AA case CB1100 wad. His loader has no bushings nor does it have a book. What bushing for powder should he buy?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

He needs a scale and a bushing chart. There is no right answer. Every batch of powder will weigh different. The only way to load safely is to see what bushing the chart says to start with and then WEIGH the drops to be sure. Its likely to be a bushing on either side of their recommended starting point. Does that make sense?

Not try'n to be a butthead, just care about your friends safety and those he shoots around.

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Have a scale but no bushings, where does he start?

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You can get the manual and bushing chart from the above web site. What Grntitan said, get a powder scale. It could be a 28, 29, 30.

Wayne

5. grntitan

Bushing #29 is supposed to throw 17.1 grains. Thats just a suggestion. My advice would be to buy several bushings. At least the 29 and one on each side of that to be sure. Tell him to WEIGH WEIGH WEIGH.

6. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

What is a 28 and 30 with red dot?

7. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I have a ton of bushings for a Hornaday 366 will they fit a 600jr?

8. grntitan

I don't know what his batch of Red Dot will throw with those bushings. Thats why i said he should buy all three. It may be his batch weighs light and he needs a 31 bushing. That is why you simply use the chart for a starting point.

And no Hornady Bushings will not fit a MEC.

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I load Red Dot and with my current lot of Red Dot 31 drops 17.1 grs using a 9000G. The 9000G is a progressive and usually drops less than a single stage like the 600 Jr. I would get 29, 30 and 31 bushings; start with 30.

I suggest that you follow the following routine. With no powder or shot on the loader, deprime and prime all the hulls you plan to reload. This way you eliminate couple of strokes of the handle and other vibrations on the loader, these tend to settle more powder in the bushing. Then drop powder, put wad, drop shot, precrimp and crimp. Check the first 5 drops with a scale to make sure that you have the correct bushing. Then every 10 just to see that every thing is still ok.

Plus or minus couple of tenths of a grain is no big thing when loading a recipe below the fastest listed.

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have an old MEC 600 JR and it came with a charge bar that has a hole for powder drop of a certain size but I had to buy a separate bar that would take MEC powder bushings.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Your friend needs to buy a new Mec Charge Bar for "one oz" of shot. He will also need the #29 powder bushing to start as well. So get the #28 and #30 with the #29 so you can adjust up or down a bushing as needed. Next he will need to buy a scale to weight his powder drops to confirm they are correct. If I were doing this I would buy a scale that would go high enough to check the shot drops as well, as I am sure he should bore out the shot hole until it drops the correct amount of shot. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ntgr8:

The O.D. of your 366 bushings are considerably larger than those of a MEC bushing.

Once upon a time I bought a Pacific 366. I already had a large assortment of MEC bushings but only a couple of bushings for the 366. A handy machinist friend of mine milled one of the 366 bushings so a MEC bushing would fit inside. That way I could use MEC bushings in the 366.

sissy

13. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Go to the Mec website and you will find a bushing chart under bushing's & Bar's.

www.mecreloaders.com

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hornady bushings will fit P-W loaders. There is also a bushing available to use Mec, Forgot who sells it. google is your friend.

And yes to all the above comments, especially Weigh.

HM

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

pasted the bushing chart above for your convenience...

Jay

16. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

All good info, will get him started. THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mec 600 jr 1oz shot bushing

mec 600 jr forum

mec 600 jr uk
red dot and mec loader bushing