1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEC 600 Jr. reloading help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm new to reloading and have a problem with calculating the powder load.

Here's my info:
    Remington Gun Club Hulls,
    Hodgdon International Clays powder,
    Powder Load- 18.4 Grains,
    MEC 600 Jr Mark 5 reloader with universal charge bar,
    Winchester WAA12 wads,
    Winchester 209 primers,
    #8 Shot @ 1 1/8 oz

According to my calculations, in order to get 18.4 grains of powder I need to set my charge bar to 8+17, but when I measure the output powder it weighes considerable less than 18.4 grains.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, Blueraven

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Probably nothing. Powder density varies from lot to lot and charge bars are adjustable for that reason. Adjust your bar till it is consistently dropping what you want. To keep the same load when you change lots of powders, you probably will have to re-adjust your bar a bit.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've been using a universal bar for years and the listed settings are always low with every powder I have used. How much less than 18.4? Go up to 8+30 or 9+0 and weight your drop after a few cycles. Before you load any shells. I keep a notebook by my loader and write down the settings. For example the manual say 4+20 for 17 grains 700X, my bar its 5+7. Check the link I sent. Wayne

4. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

Blue, you're not doing anything wrong, but those setting are just a starting point. In order to get the 18.4 grains, you need to use a powder scales and keep making adjustments till you reach it. When you're there, tighten the little allen screw on the side of the knob. Some will tell you it's not worth the trouble to have to fiddle with it for any length of time. But I can set mine in a short time now that I know more about them. I can dial it to the weight of the powder and shot. Thanks David

5. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

you are doing nothing wrong. Those charts whether it is for your universal charge bar or bushings are just a guide. Powder densities change from batch to batch so ALWAYS use a scale to set up the drop charges. A powder baffle really helps with consistent drops also. It can get a little frustrating when you check it and it say's 18.5 and you drop another charge and it says 18.9 and then again it says 18.3. I found the baffle makes it more consistent. Hope this helps.
    Dave

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

About adjustable bars:

They need to be set with the following procefure: Open the cavity till it is a little too big. Then close the cavity and stop when the desired amount is reached. Do not back up to re-adjust,etc. You have to have the threads PUSHING the aperture shut. That way the adjustment will not possibly wander to a larger size.

The miniscule amount of play in the adjustment screws will have no effect if you use this procedure.

I have been using adjustable bars for 25 years and never a problem. I figured this out because I used to run a huge radial drill that was old and worn, and I had to compensate for the slop in the threads.

Don't try and make sense out of the chart. It has some lawsuit protection built in.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hodgdon clays charge tables for mec universal charge bar

inconsistent shot weight with mec jr 600

mec 600 jr inconsistent powder

mec 600 jr universal charge bar

setting shot and powder loads in mec 600 reloader

setting up universal charge bar for mec 600 jr