1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 600 Jr. primer not seating

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I was in the the process of reloading some shells then after about 30, all of a sudden the primer is not fully seating into the shell. I've tried different shells and another batch of primers, but it didn't help. I don't see any adjustments for this.

Any ideas?

Blueraven

2. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

If you don't have a manual you can download one from the MEC website.
    You probably need to adjust the primer seating tube down.
    There is a small clamp with a hex head screw around the tube above the primer seating station.
    Loosen the screw and pull the tube down slightly, then re-tighten the hex head screw.

Hope this helps.....

3. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I do have the manual and there is no clamp on the seating tube or adjustment mentioned in the manual.

I placed a washer in the primer cup to elevate the cup by about 1/16" and the primer still didn't seat.

Could the primer seating spring be warn out?

Blueraven

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Put a dime under primer seater right there on the frame of the loader. I had to do this as a temporary fix on a Grabber once until I got anew spring.

5. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Well I removed the seating tube and added a 1/16" washer. That seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know why this was working and then all of a sudden it stopped, but the primer now seats.

I might add I bought this used and it already had a auto primer feeder installed.

I don't know if a washer should have been on top of the primer tube, but there's one there now.

Thanks,
    Blueraven

6. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Sorry Blueraven,
    I was thinking of a progressive Mec reloader, not a single stage like your
    600jr.
    I have had to adjust the primer seating tube with a washer as you describe when reloading large capacity hulls like the Federal or Fiocchi.
    Also make sure that the resizer ring on the first [resizer] station has not unscrewed down and limited the downward travel of the loader.
    When this happens the primer seating tube does not go down far enough to seat the primer.
    Sorry for the incorrect info on my earlier post.
    The chemo/radiation is making me tired today and my mind was thinking of a progressive MEC.

Hope this helps....

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

BlueRaven, Yes do install a washer at the top of the primer tube, not in the bottom cup assembly. I had to do it as well for some hulls. It does not bother the others that did not need it, and its still there today. All Good. Break-em all. Jeff

8. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Blueraven,Check to see if your sizing die(first station that de-primes also) has not come unscrewed down. I have seen this happen to one of my loaders and also a friend of mines loader. I hope this helps George

9. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I think Country squire might be right. Your priming station should be set forever unless the resizing screw comes loose. That would explain your primers not seating. I've got three 600s and I've never seen this condition.

Steve

10. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

George you're a freaking genius. That was it. I guess after a 1000 rounds I should do some QC on the MEC.

Thanks,
    Craig

11. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Craig, Your welcome,but I did't read acorange's entire post as he said the same thing only maybe a little harder to understand.Glad to be of service. There is not too many things that can go wrong with a 600 jr. They are a very good entry level press and I think every one should have one. I've had 6 or 7.They make an excellant shell just a little slow. George

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Right on. The handle should come very close to contacting the frame with no shell in the station. (MIne actually hits it slightly.)

HM

13. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

A thank you as well to Acorange for the right advice.

Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many threads to screw deprimer on mec 600jr

mec 600 jr how to adjust resizer

mec 600 super primer seat issue

mec clamp pull

mec jr primer seating spring

mec primer seat washer

mec reloader adjustments

primer not seating completely on mec 600 mark v