1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mec 600 Charge Bar is very Hard to Slide

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lou Tenant, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I have recently started reloading shotgun shells on an older Mec 600. I purchased a new charge bar to load 1 oz. This and all of the bars I have seem very difficult to slide from side to side. I have not noticed this on loaders I used over twenty years ago while helping friends load on their machines. The bracket which houses the bar and the bar are clean of any debris or buildup.

I have read Lyman's manual and the Mec instructions, but I don't see anything which addresses this issue. Is there a trick to making the bars slide easier? I have loaded over a flat of shells hoping it would free up.

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

One suggestion, which I do with my charge bars is to take it out and use a file and make sure there are no burrs or sharp corners on them.

Slide it back and forth by hand and use the file if you get any hangups.

Hauxfan!

3. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"all of the bars I have seem very difficult to slide from side to side."

I had one bar that was a bit tough. Eventually wore a streak of the anodizing off and it was better. But if it's more than one bar, sounds like the issue is the with the bracket it slides in. Seems you ought to begin to see wear spots on the bar that you could match up with the inside of the slide, then file/sand that arae for more clearance. Or just call MEC. I hear they are helpful over the phone.

4. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

I haven't seen a wear spot yet. I thought it might be either the rubber bottle grommets or the bar rubber bushing on the shot tube. Long time metallic reloader , new to shotshell loading, and I'm all ready looking for a progressive. The wife burns through the shells ......

Thanks for the replies.

5. sbag

sbag TS Member

Try loosening the powder and shot bottels. worked for me.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

If you don't have the metal spring washer under the powder bottle your charge bar will stick if the bottle is too tight.

Bryan

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Yes,loosening the powder & shot bottles may just solve your problem. Only about 1/16 of a turn at a time. Also if you are using a tall bottle for shot,try using a short bottle. Might be pressure on the bar. Then see if the bar housing is clear of nibs & flash,also see that it is square. I have an old 600. The top is not welded to the front of the bar housing,allowing the top to be lifted a hair. Try that,it may help.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Lube the bar with a little resizing wax from your metallic reloading days. HMB

9. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

You may have the older charge bar without the polymer insert. The old ones try and shear shot whereas the new ones glide easily. Either live with slamming the thing or buy one of these...

[​IMG]

10. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Try rubbing candle wax on the areas that touch other surfaces. I use that on my 366. Works great. BIG JIM

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Lou, If you want a progressive go for it. If there are two of you shooting you will need one. Now if you bought a new charge bar with the rubber in it and your bar is still hanging up!!! More than one bar is hanging, It has to be the housing the bar travels in. You can try lube on the sides or buy a new housing from Mec. Or Sell the loader as is, and get a progressive. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

12. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I tried several of the suggestions and I found the housing appeared to be the problem. I put the bar in a really old rusty 600 I was given an it slid like it was on grease. A little tweak with the screwdriver and it was as slick as I remembered from years ago. WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

Thanks again.

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Number 8 shot runs a lot better through mine than 7 1/2's.

14. yellowjacket

yellowjacket TS Member

I bought a charge bar on ebay one time and it was very, very tight. I had to use a file to relieve the problem. I would file a bit and put it back in to test the results, then repeat again. It works great now. Jim

15. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

It seems like your all set, I had a tight charge bar on my 600 JR. it would come & go.It was a string from the shot bag stuck halfway down the bottle.
    Duh !

Craby

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I called MEC about that condition years ago and they told me to adjust the fit of the bar in the chrome charge bar housing by tipping the housing over and tapping the rivets with a punch and mallet to free up the bar travel or hold a heavy object against the head of the rivet while doing that to tighten one up. It works!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

charge bar hard to slide on mec reloader

mec 600 jr the bar is not sliding

mec charge bar slide hard